Chapter Twenty-Three: Beautiful Nightmare

   Breathtaking. It was the only word that could describe the ethereal universe in front of her. Phoebe literally became incapable of breathing, fearing that doing so would awaken her from this dream.

   She wouldn't want that.

   She might have lost all sense of time and space. Last thing she knew is that they're speeding up in broad daylight. Now, there's just auroras and stars.

   Stars. It became clearer to her that the twinkling lights weren't actually stars. They were floating lamps with candle light inside.

    All around her were dancing waves of lights. Light fog covered the floor, but still enables her to see the glitters below. At the far center, a floating table covered in red can be found. Two golden cushioned seats were placed on opposite sides. Candelabras illuminated the place.

   It was surreal.

"Wow," she finally said in an enchanting whisper, not taking her eyes off the table.

"Magical, isn't it? Like a twilight noir. Even better. Hard work in the studio did pay off." He smiled.

"It's...so...unreal. Just, pure perfection. Alex how did you--" Phoebe turned around to see Alex but he's gone. For a second she thought she was actually dreaming. But suddenly, she heard Alex's voice calling her name. She turned around and saw him emerging from the fog covering the way to the table, extending his hand.

"My pleasure to escort the lady," he said and smiled. He was already wearing a suit.

   Phoebe just smiled and reached Alex's hand. She was completely hypnotized by the place that surrounded her.

   Alex took the seat for her like a true gentleman. He sat on the opposite side, turning his head to follow Phoebe's stare. There's already a sumptuous buffet set on the table.

"Sooo, you like it?" he asked.

"Like it? Are you kidding me? I love it! Alex, this is so enchanting and surreal and magical.... it's like a dream," Phoebe gushed.

   Alex smiled again.

"It's nice to see you this happy. I've never seen you like this before. You were so...so sad."

   Phoebe's expression changed, but she quickly regained her smile.

"Oh, it's the past. Gotta move on, turn the page. Begin a new chapter."

"I'm glad you felt that way. Well," he cleared his throat and motioned the food. "After the long drive, you must've felt real hungry."

"Oh, yeah, right. Sure. In fact, I really am," Phoebe chuckled, masking her bewilderment with Alex's sudden change of tone, the glisten in his eyes when he said he was glad for her.... It's as if he's confused. Of what?

"Wine?" he asked.

"I would love to."

   Alex popped the cork open in a sudden motion and blinked. Phoebe chuckled with him.

"Oh," she said in surprise. Alex slowly poured in Phoebe's wine glass.

"There you go."

"Thank you."

   A few minutes later, Phoebe noticed a shifting in the position of the lanterns. The fog thickened and a shimmering glass fountain slowly emerged upward from the middle.

   Phoebe shifted her position to clearly see what was happening.

   Alex clapped his hands, and two miniature versions emerged on each side of the fountain. Water began shooting out of the biggest fountain towards the smaller ones, and back while different colored lights glowed in the fountains. The colors changed as the water shot, always in rhythm, always in beat.

"What on earth...." Phoebe can't help but whisper.

   But that's not all. Out of the haze that's covering the ceiling, a crystal chandelier emerged.

"Goodness gracious," she whispered once again.

"Amazing, right?"

"Yes...."

   Phoebe felt her phone vibrate in her bag and discreetly opened her phone to read the message.

           Phoebe, this is Mr. Hererra from Automotives. Glad to say, Mr. Ghiberti got the job.

   A smile crept up Phoebe's lips. Just the perfect thing to make this perfect moment even better.

   She shifted her position to face Alex, who is currently staring a the playful lights on the fountains.

"Soo..."

   Alex noticed her and faced her as well.

"Yes?"

"I just happen to know the perfect thing to make this even better."

"Really? Well, what could it be?"

"Well, there's just this guy that I happen to know, and he texted me this," Phoebe said before hitting 'forward' and 'resend' to Alex's number.

   Alex gave Phoebe a look before reading the message. The same message that Phoebe got from Mr. Hererra.

"I got the job? I got the job!"

"Yeah, congratulations!"

   Alex stood up from his seat and knelt down in front of Phoebe. He held her hands and stared at her, making Phoebe blush.

"Thank you, thank you. I couldn't have done this without you."

"No, no, don't thank me. I just merely pushed you to apply for the job. It's your work that won their attention."

   Phoebe smiled.