Chapter One [10]

GAMEOVER

Chapter 1 [10]

~~~~~

"I'm going to be a clothing designer!" The high pitched voice of a young girl, perhaps 6, chirped. Her eyes lit up and her smile beamed brightly as the small sounds of 'ooo' and 'ahh' filled the air.

"That sounds wonderful Sophia; Kevin, what do you want to be when you grow up?" The kind eyes of their teacher looked at the neutral gaze of a young boy.

"Gonna be rich."

There were echoes of laughs and giggles at the straightforward response, "I'm sure you'll become very rich if you work hard," their teacher praised once more. The classroom was brightly lit, with large, colorful numbers and letters plastered to the wall. Two windows with no blinds sat on two opposing walls while the door to this room was propped open to reveal quiet halls.

This was a school. And in this school the future or Humans, Players, and the occasional OP's were taught. This was just one of many schools that were all across the small kingdom. To the inhabitants, this kingdom was known simply as Rekrium, to the outside world, The False Origin.

But such a name was not known to the people, it has been nearly 10,000 years since the kingdom has had contact with people on the outside of The Ring.

However, before such a thing can be explained, this memory must progress to reveal a certain goofy child with a big heart and even bigger dreams.

A boy with a curly mop of brown hair and odd, but alluring, golden eyes. His name was Adam, Adam Azure to be exact, he was 6 and a three-quarters of a year old, soon to be 7. A Tier 5 student and while sitting in this small circle of Tier 5's, he was eagerly waiting for his teacher to pose the simple question of, 'What do you want to be when you grow up?'

He already had an answer, simple but amazing as he would describe it. He thought all the other kids' answers were cool enough, but all so predictable. Why didn't anyone think of something cooler? More daring and adventurous.

"Adam? Adam?" Mr. Stirling, their teacher, snapped Adam from his dreamy thoughts.

"H-huh?" there were quiet giggles that traveled around the circle. He wasn't fazed by their laughters at his inept attention abilities.

"What do you want--"

"A hero! I'm going to be the best hero, like the Players!" The silly conversations held by silly little children halted, the snickering quieted, and all eyes turned to the energetic, golden eyed boy.

At this moment, it is not fully understood what was so odd about this statement. Little kids can dream big, it isn't uncommon for them to say 'I want to be a superhero' or even 'I will fly and shoot lasers' All little kids dream impossible dreams like this. The first being more attainable to certain ranks of people.

In this society, there are many ranks in which the human and the inhuman are divided into. More specifically the human. The human ranks consist of, Human, Player, OP, plus the addition of the Exceptions, which their ranks vary, but that is more complicated. The simplest explanation is the Human rank posses one life, they are physically weak, and suited to live blissful, short lives. Players, have a vast number of lives, the ability to die and come back, a respawn. They're physically stronger, faster, and the protectors of the poor, defenseless rank of Humans. The OP's are a bit odd, possessing a finite invincibility that acts like temporary immortality. Their abilities still being discovered will be explained more in depth later on.

Today in this little class was a day to ask these small children of varying ranks what they hoped to be as adults. Jokes aside, this was a serious day filled with serious, attainable careers or dreams. Not the silly drabble that can be said outside of class amongst goofy friends and family.