Chapter Forty-Three [A Call for War]

Another chapter :O

~~~~~

GAME OVER

Chapter 43 [A Call for War]

~~~~~

The last of the people were fleeing out of the town, but Adam was still worried if it was enough. Just because they ran didn't mean they were safe. Anyone as strong or stronger than Ty could catch up to them in no time.

Adam glanced back at the town he saw a bright light that diminished very quickly. Was it over? Adam took a step back and shook his head, he didn't know who won, but he wasn't sure either outcome would be good. Especially if Seto was still pissed.

He saw movement through the crowd of buildings, who was approaching in the rain? Adam's eyes widened, a tall figure emerged, he recognized her immediately and rubbed his neck at the memory.

"It looks like you're the only soul around, the rest are fleeing further inland," The woman remarked. Her composed figure daunted him and the large sword that rested at her hip threatened his very life just by existing. But Adam didn't see Seto, "I'm not sure whether to call you a dumb or brave human."

"Wh-where is Seto, what did you do with Seto!" Adam hesitantly raised his voice.

The woman looked down at him coldly under the increasing rainfall, Adam wasn't sure if it was her gaze or the rain that sent shivers down his spine.

"Dead."

Ba-bump.

His heart felt lodged in his throat. Dead? Seto? Wasn't that impossible? H-he was an OP, more than that! An OP-Player--th-thats right. Seto must've respawned back at the AHD, but...Adam trembled under her gaze, how could she have killed him in the first place if he was in an OP state.

"Th-that's impossible."

"Tell me," the woman placed her hand on the hilt of her sword, "Are you going to fight for those fleeing over the hill? Are you going to protect them or flee just like them?"

Adam reached for his chest and felt the absence of something--that's right. His amulet was with Ross, which meant...

Adam gulped, he was essentially worthless in this situation, but he had to believe Seto or anyone would arrive. He had to believe he could buy those people one more minute, one more chance at survival. So he sucked in a huge breath and calmed his beating heart.

Adam outstretched both his arms, "Even if I die, I won't let you hurt them. They're innocent and they haven't done anything wrong."

The woman stiffened, "Innocent?" she muttered under her breath, but the rain drowned out her voice. Adam did not hear what she had uttered.

The woman drew her sword and pointed it at Adam, he didn't flinch. The woman sliced the air before returning her sword to her hip and Adam watched as the space in front of her was torn in two by that cut. It was only for a moment, but in that moment a diamond sword fell at her feet.

Adam looked to the sword and then looked at the woman as the weird tear in the sky closed, "I don't fight weaponless enemies. If you're determined to put your life on the line for those humans then I will let you pick up this sword and give you 10 second to distance yourself before we fight. However, if you leave now I will spare you and those people."

Adam's jaw dropped, in his head, he didn't literally let his mouth hang open, but regardless he was dumbfounded. There's no way she was being honest, "If that's the case why even bother attacking Sooul!" Adam yelled.