🕱Chapter Thirty-Six [6]🕱

HI! It's been a long time! I haven't had a lot of inspiration as explained in the pervious part, but after reading some of your comments, I managed to scrounge up some inspiration and rewrite more than 90% of this chapter. (I hated the original draft whish was why I was never able to finish it and publish)

ALSO, some lines in this chapter reference a GO oneshot I wrote and posted in the GO Extra's book. If you haven't read it , you should, it was fun to write and focuses on Seto and Jason in the past. Jason is very different in the past than he is now.

~~~~~

GAME OVER

Chapter 36 [6]

~~~~~

Seto looked around the dimly lit lab. The faint smell of cold coffee filled the space, he never understood Jason's love for the foul beverage. He's had it on occasions, but mostly found it distasteful.

Here was the place Jason lived and worked for 510 years, such a small amount of time in comparison to himself. He's lived to see two kings, and he would likely live to see a third rise to the throne. Jason was nothing more than a child to him, a smart and remarkable child, but a child nonetheless. Children were impressionable, you could make a child sway easily to anything, they didn't have the will to resist.

Seto entered the lab space slowly as he took in the empty space. No, it wasn't empty, it was false to say so. The room was still filled with dismantled machines and tools placed precisely in place for use. Jason hardly kept a stray page or even a notebook around, he stored every ounce of information in his head after all.

Seto found himself in front of Jason's desk, the desk he sat and often slept at after long hours of work. There was a picture frame faced down, he was sure that was normally not there, but his memory tended to fail him as the years went by and his brain was crammed with information gathered over several lifetimes.

Seto frowned and picked the frame up. The picture in the frame was worn, likely due to constant contact to skin, Jason was far more sentimental that Seto ever could be. Though faded, it depicted the Clarks family before their youngest daughter was born, a small and young Jason with a larger gaping gap in his mouth grinned cheerfully in the image. Yet Jason was almost hidden behind thick lines scratched into the photo with marker. X's furiously crossed over the younger Jason as if trying to erase his existence from a moment in history.

Foolish.

Jason was just a child. An impressionable child. Hampered with thoughts of not belonging, with murder hanging over his head, with expectations placed on him by a father long dead, with crazed ideals racing through his mind. Jason was truly a child.

He scowled, what had he hoped to gain from coming here? There was nothing for him here, Jason was dead and if he wasn't here now, he would likely not be found alive. Jason would not carelessly keep his spawn point within the capital, he wasn't that much of a fool.

Seto turned away, this had been a waste of time.

"I-it's like you said, people die all the time, I just have to choose to not let it bother me."

Many centuries ago, when it had only been a year since Jason's arrival to the AHD, his father unexpectedly died. He remembered because the funeral was an unusual day. He'd performed the magical investigation of the death and he was never wrong. Though what he found and covered up and claimed not even magic could make sense of the accident.

"That is true, death is everywhere, and murder is no different."

He remembered muttering those words to a shaken Jason the day of his father's funeral.