Chapter Nine

I feel like I just thanked you guys for 200+ reads! Thanks so much for 300+ reads, and I hope you guys enjoy this chapter!

(9)

"What now?"

Jade looks up from the sonogram that she's been staring at every since they got in the car.

She turns toward Beck, who isn't looking at her, but at the road. "What do you mean?" she asks.

"Do we...Do we tell people now? Do we talk to our parents? What's the next step?" Beck wants to know.

Jade looks back down at the sonogram. "You tell me. You made damn near every decision back at the hospital."

Yes, she's pissed at Beck for that.

Did he make bad decisions? Of course not. But the fact that he didn't even think about consulting with her first got under her skin.

Beck sighs. "What did you want me to say? That you didn't want prenatal vitamins?" Beck asks incredulously.

"You could have simply asked me first," Jade snaps back. "I don't even know if I want to keep this baby! And if I don't getting a prescription for prenatal vitamins is pointless."

Beck looks at her. "You're not still considering getting an abortion. Are you?"

Jade leans back against the headrest.

Is she still considering an abortion?

She doesn't think that she can have a baby, doesn't think that she can be a mother at her age (or ever to be completely honest) but after hearing the baby's heartbeat...

"Jade."

"I don't know!" Jade exclaims. "It's all too..."

"Complicated?" Beck finishes for her.

"To say the least," Jade grumbles with a shake of her head.

She relaxes a bit with she feels Beck's hand in hers.

"We'll figure something out," Beck tells her as he lifts her hand to his lips. "I know we will."

Jade smiles, pulling his hand into her lap. They sit in silence for a while before Jade turns toward her boyfriend.

"What would you want to do? With the baby?" she wants to know.

Beck is quiet for a long time, and she wonders if he's ever even thought about it. But then he says,

"To be honest, I would want to keep him or her."

Jade tenses. She doesn't know what answer she was expecting (because honestly, there's not many he can give her) but it wasn't that one.

"Seriously?"

Beck shrugs his shoulders. "I know it wouldn't be easy-"

"Understatement of the century," Jade mutters.

"But I think we could do it," Beck continues, pointedly ignoring his girlfriend's remark.

Jade shakes her head as she looks back down at the sonogram in her hand. "What about adoption?" Jade asks.

"You want to have some stranger raising our kid?" Beck barks.

Jade sighs as she leans her head back against the headrest. "It's just an thought," she mumbles.

She hears Beck sigh and she turns her head toward him. She doesn't want to argue (a rarity), is too tired, so she tells him, "We'll...we'll just take everything one day at a time. Like you said before."