Chapter Twenty One

(21)

She wishes that she never agreed to this stupid dinner.

Everyone is talking about the play, a play that she wanted to be a part of and the play that she can't be a part of because she's pregnant.

It makes her bitter.

It makes her resentful.

Especially towards Beck.

She hates that she feels this way, because she loves him, but damnit, they both had unprotected sex, but she feels like she's the only one being punished.

Not that having a baby is a punishment, but Beck gets to do the things that he wants to and she has to get a job with her shitty dad and grow up before she wants to.

Jade shifts in her seat and looks down at the food in front of her. She got a salad, but ordered a side of fries to go with it. She can feel two pairs of eyes on her as she picks at her salad.

One being Beck, who keeps leaning in and asking her if she's okay (she keeps telling him she's fine, but of course he knows that she's not, because he's so damn annoyingly perceptive).

The other pair, though, is both surprising and not surprising.

Surprising because she would think that it's Cat, but it's not, it's Tori.

She wants to snap and ask just why the half Latina is staring at her, but she doesn't. Instead, she turns toward Beck and tells him, "Move. I need to pee."

She doesn't really, she just needs a moment to recharge from today. A moment away from everyone.

Beck stands and moves out of her way, but when goes to head to the bathroom, he follows her.

"Do you have to pee too?" Jade asks snarkily.

Beck rolls his eyes, but a small smile form on his lips. "I just wanted make sure you were okay."

"You did that all throughout dinner," Jade points out.

"True, but you weren't telling me the truth then. I'm hoping that you'll tell me now."

Jade sighs. "Later. I promise."

Beck rubs the back of his neck, and she can tell that he wants her to talk to him now, but then he nods. "Okay. Now I'll let you go pee."

Jade rolls her eyes even though a small smile forms on her cheeks. "Gee thanks."

"No problem," he responds with a cheeky smile before he leans forward and kisses her cheek.

She watches as he sits back down at the table before she heads into the bathroom, sighing as she shuts the door.

"Is anyone in here?!" she barks out, and when she doesn't get a response she lets out a breath.

Good.

She pulls out her PearPhone and sets a timer.

She gives herself two minutes. Two minutes to just... just breathe.

She needs that today, to just breathe.

She moves toward the bathroom sink and leans against it, looking at herself in the mirror. She doesn't know why, but... she never noticed how her face is changing. It's fuller, and she guess that makes sense, she's gaining weight, but she never noticed it until now.

Her index finger moves to the bridge of her nose.

It seems to be getting wider.

She knows that pregnant women's nose spread, but god, she didn't know that it would be this soon.