Chapter Twenty

(20)

"Never thought that you would be coming to see me," her father comments as he leans back in his office chair.

Jade sighs as she lets her hand fall to her stomach. "That makes two of us."

Her father smirks, a smirk that reminds Jade so much of herself. She hates that.

"So, what can I do for you?" Her father asks.

Jade inhales deeply. She hates, hates asking her father for anything, hasn't done it in years, and now she has to come back and ask him for something like this.

She just wants to turn around and leave, but she can't, she had to do this for her baby.

For her daughter.

Because she's determined to be a good mom, even if she doesn't think it's possible.

"You remember what you said yesterday? About getting me a job?"

Her father chuckles the most condescending laugh she's ever heard. It makes her blood boil.

"I thought that boyfriend of yours said that he was going to get a job? He didn't leave you to fend for yourself, did he?"

"No. Beck isn't deadbeat father. I wish I could say the same about my own."

Her father crosses his arms across his chest. "You know, you are asking me for help. You should be nicer."

Jade rolls her eyes. "Listen, Beck can't get a job okay? I can. So just, get me the job you were talking about yesterday. Please."

Her father raises a brow. He's probably never heard her say the word please before. She doesn't remember ever saying it to her.

It's a tense staring contest for a moment before he opens his laptop and asks, "Do you have an email?"

"Who doesn't have an email Robert?"

Her father narrows his eyes at her, clearly not in the mood. It makes her smirk.

"What's your email?"

"Scissorluver "

That makes her father do a double take. "Seriously? You don't have a professional email?"

"You should have specified," Jade shrugs. "Jadewest . All lowercase."

"Alright. I'll send you what I need you to do. I'll need everything done by Monday. That's when I leave."

"So I'm your assistant?" Jade asks, her nose scrunching up in disgust. "Don't you have one of those?"

"I had to fire her," her father says dismissively.

Jade hums. "What? Did she not let you sleep with her?"

Her father groans as he rubs his forehead. "I don't have to give you this job. Don't be so ungrateful for once in your life."

Jade opens her mouth to say something rude, but, she knows she can't. This job is money towards things for her kid. Maybe a bigger place one day (because there's no way she can spend more than six months in that RV with a baby). So she shuts her mouth, her hand falling to her small bump and moving her thumb over it slowly, smiling to herself when she feels that fluttery feeling.

"You're having a granddaughter," she finds herself saying. Why, she doesn't know.

Her father looks up from the computer, his eyes looking over her for a moment before he looks back at his computer. "Another you?"

"Whatever, don't wonder why I told you," Jade mutters. Then she shifts on her feet. "So, are we done here?"

Her father nods. "I'll call you if I need you. I might need you to come into my office sometimes, perhaps during your lunch or after school."