Adam Milligan-1

You rummaged in your purse, looking for keys, wanting to be in your house quickly, though you still had another block to walk. It was getting late and you'd just gotta off of work and you were exhausted. Jobs really are a pain in the butt.

You fiddled with your keys when you heard footsteps behind you. You glanced back to see someone in a jacket with their head down walking behind you. You swallow and slowly reach into your purse, grabbing the pepper spray.

As you neared your apartment, the person was still following you. You stopped and turned around, pepper spraying them. They shouted and their hands flung to their eyes as they stumbled backward.

"Why are you following me?" You asked, holding the pepper spray up and aiming it at him.

"Following you? Wha-I live like two apartments from here!" You gulped and lowered the pepper spray.

"Oh, I feel terrible! You took ahold of his elbow and steered him toward your apartment. "Come on, I'll help. I thought you were following me, I'm so sorry." You fiddled with the keys and the man stood there, his hands still over his eyes.

"No, I should have like, walked on the other side of the street or something.  Or not have been so close. I'm Adam." He said as you opened the door and pulled him inside.

"Sorry I sprayed you with pepper spray, Adam, I'm (Y/N)." You answered as you had him sit on the couch. "I've never been on the receiving end of pepper spray but I can try to help."

You pulled out your phone and searched up how in Google while you hurried to the bathroom for a washcloth. You handed it too him and he removed his hands, taking the cloth gratefully.

"It says to wash the exposed area with soap and water and then flush it with cold water for three to five minutes." You said, biting your lip and looking at Adam. "I am so sorry I sprayed you."

He chuckled. "You keep apologizing. Don't. I know you wouldn't have sprayed me unless you thought I was actually following you." He gave a small smile and took the cloth from his face. His eyes were red and still mostly shut, but open enough he could see you. "You know, you're actually really pretty."

You laughed. "That's the pepper spray talking, Adam. Come on to the kitchen and I'll help you." He stood up and you grabbed a towel and another cloth from the bathroom. He sat down on one of the chair and you filled up the sink with water and Dawn.

You dipped the cloth in the water and wrung it out, walking toward Adam. You took his hands with one hand and moved them away from his face. He dropped his hands to his lap and you dabbed carefully at his face.

"I'm scared I'll put your eye out." You said and he smiled.

"I doubt you can poke someone's eye out with a washcloth, (Y/N)." He answered and you scoffed.

"Well I do have these things called fingers, not stumps on the end of my hand."

"That's adorable," He joked. "I've never seen someone with fingers instead of stumps."

You laughed and pulled your hand away to keep from poking him. "Don't be sarcastic, I'm trying to help you." He wiggled his fingers in your face and you went back to softly rubbing his eyes.

"If I press too hard, tell me. I don't have anything to be sued for." You commented and he chuckled.

"You're fine, I just want to open my eyes all the way." He replied and you frowned.

"It said the side effects could last from thirty minutes to two hours." You said softly.

"Oh, well, I can always hope right?" He smiled and you shook your head, moving on to the other eye. He opened his eye you'd finished, his left one, and you could see a beautiful blue eye.

"Woah," You whispered and he laughed, his eye closing again.

"Woah to you too." He responds and your cheeks flushed bright red.

"I'm sorry." You stuttered and continue fixing his eye. "Um, you can flush your eye now, I'll set the timer for five minutes." He nodded and you tossed him a wet rag before he closed his eye, and you scurried to the other end of the kitchen to set the timer. You stood there a moment longer after you'd set it, swallowing.

You hoped you weren't falling for this stranger.

But what if you were? You argued with yourself and mentally smacked your forehead. Instead, you turned around and gave Adam a smile as he'd now opened his eyes though he rubbed a wet cloth over them carefully.

"Thank you, no one has really been too nice to me lately." You pulled a seat to sit beside him and frowned.

"Why not? You seem like a wonderful person. So tell me about yourself Adam." You said, trying to act casual. He smiled.

"Well, my mom died about a year ago and my dad I don't know when." He shrugged and rubbed at the other eye. "I have two half-brothers, Sam and Dean. They're not really around a lot. Usually out on a job or something. I don't think they like me too much either." He laughed and you cracked a grin. "What about you?"

"What about me?" You asked. "There's not really much to say. I mean, my mom and dad live out of state down in Louisiana." You shrugged and looked at the table, picking at the wood. "We don't talk a lot ever since I dropped out of college."

"Oh." Was all Adam said and then he pat your hand awkwardly before clearing his throat and moving on to the other eyes again.

"Don't worry about it, I've managed." You both sat in silence before the timer startled the both of you. You laughed awkwardly and stood up, quickly shutting it off. You took the rag from him and put it in the sink. He stood up and you both walked to the front door. You opened it and he stood in the doorway.

"I really am sorry Adam." You said again, frowning.

"Don't worry about it, (Y/N). Hey, how 'bout we get some coffee sometime, hmm?" He gave you a lopsided smile.

"I'd like that." You answered and he gave you wide grin before giving a small wave and starting toward his apartment. You sighed happily and closed the door.

What a day.

Helloooo! Thanks for reading!