11. Routine

The next day he was gone again, and the bedroom door left open once more. Making herself some breakfast from the eggs above the fridge, the day blended into the one before, completing the same pattern it had yesterday. Sienna would tidy up the flat, appalled at the mess that had somehow appeared overnight, then listen to the radio for news regarding Overwatch or any hint of what was happening with Reaper every day, and then watch the sunset while waiting for him to come back and patch him up.
It seemed to become something of a routine over the next few days: and each day Reaper became more and more used to her cleaning him up. He'd resisted a few times, but had always seemed to come around after Sienna got serious with him, retaliating against his empty threats. After days of the same methodical routine, they had arrived at the point where he would appear and remove his jacket and shirt automatically, throwing himself onto the couch and sometimes lapsing into a light sleep dependent on the extent of his injuries.
By now, over a week had come and gone since her capture and he would come home with new injuries - nothing as bad as the first time but sometimes still serious - and Sienna would comfortably moan at him for being reckless, giving her extra work to do. Sienna wasn't sure when she'd started to refer to the flat as 'home', but she guessed that as it was unusual for her to be in one place for longer than a week it wasn't too odd a thought.
Usually he wouldn't respond to her complaints, or would just huff at her for a few seconds, and tonight was no different.
Sure, he'd been back later than usual but Sienna was feeling twitchy from extensive solitude. First he'd startled her by appearing in front of her on the balcony this time instead of his trademark behind her, and had then proceeded to be in the most foul mood due to the pain from a huge, bloodied bruise on his left rib.
She'd tried to rub a salve into it but her good-willed attempts had been thwarted by the large intimidating man who had pressed a shotgun into her forehead when she so much as ghosted a touch over it.

'Look, do you want me to help you or not?' Sienna was exasperated, watching the man flinch away from her hands for the umpteenth time. 'I have to make do with what you have here in your flat, so unless you buy some new equipment you're going to have to behave and sit still.'

'How about I just shoot you in the forehead and then you can behave and sit still in a coffin for the rest of eternity?'

Sure, Reaper had become more talkative over their time together, one patching up the other, but his words hadn't changed their attitude at all. He still threatened her to high hell, whipping out his shotguns and claws at any given opportunity, but at this point Sienna had taken to ignoring his death threats and taunts. It's not like he really means them, anyway - at least, that was how she reckoned it was in her head.

After having enough with his childish antics, she threw her hands up in the air.
'Stop being cowardly and let me touch you!' Sienna stopped after she said it, realising her words, but refused to let herself be flustered - once she knew that Reaper would tease her further if she showed any signs, she quickly learned to hide her embarrassment and act as if nothing happened.
He always knew, though. And, thought Sienna, he loves to irritate me. Mercy help me, I hope Jack comes soon.

The irritating man in question was now leaned relaxed against the sofa back, and he raised his hands up in mock surrender for a few seconds before lying them outstretched along the sofa by his shoulders, leaving his chest and stomach open. Although he remained silent, his subconscious head tilt told Sienna that his mask was hiding a wide, goddamn grin behind it. However, it was as if he was playing a game with her, as each time she reached over to him he'd flick her hand away, still silent, forcing her to stop again. It was immature, childish, and stupid... But at the same time Sienna loved it. Her eyes sparkled as she saw a new side to the dark, cold blooded killer. His claws that had ripped through flesh too many times became soft as he manouevered them carefully around her hands, and his usually armoured chest lay bare to her eyes. Somehow, she'd managed to become comfortable with the one person who was destined to be her enemy since she had met Jack... Since she had known about Overwatch. But,

I wouldn't have it any other way.

Reaper slapped her hand away again, and Sienna's resolve crumbled along with her soft thoughts. Throwing herself towards him, she grabbed both his forearms holding them apart away from his body.
He let out a surprised grunt as her weight landed on his lap, and she held his wrists tight as they wrestled momentarily.
It was over quickly, with Sienna somehow victorious over the huge man, holding each of his arms with her hands. Her own arms remained outstretched to keep his hands away from each other, and they both paused, chests heaving for a few seconds to get their breath back.
As Sienna grinned in her victory, Reaper suddenly shifted his thighs and she slid from her balancing pose, collapsing on him - one knee either side of his hips in a new straddling position.
Still holding his wrists apart Sienna swallowed, and watched Reaper's mask tilt in that familiar gesture.

Focus, Sienna. He's just messing with your head. It means nothing.

Even though her brain told her one thing, Reaper was slowly moving his hands further apart, extending Sienna's arms outwards and forcing her to lean forward in order to keep a hold of them. Time began to slow down. Slowly, he inched his hands further out, and lifted his head to stare directly into her eyes, watching the red blush on her skin spread like wildfire up her neck. Suddenly it wasn't just a joke anymore.
The sun dipped further over the cityscape, and the shadows in the room seemed to deepen and writhe together. Turning her eyes back towards the man in front, and underneath, of her there seemed something softer in the angles of his mask, even though nothing had changed.
The air between them swelled, and Sienna could feel Reaper's thighs tense underneath her hips. Slowly, she let her hands relax and let go of him, letting her nails trail softly down his forearms. On her own accord this time, she leant forward a fraction, and his own mask tipped as he lifted his back off the sofa towards her.
Sienna shivered slightly, closing the distance between them, and felt his claws touch the small of her back softly, gently, tracing tiny lines when-

A vibration. A phone. Reaper's phone?

As if snapped out of a daze, Sienna leapt off him, coughing out her embarrassment and internally cursing herself. When she turned back around to face him Reaper was pulling out a small black device, his other fist clenched tightly. It took him two seconds to read whatever message had been sent and he looked up.
His voice broke uncharacteristically as he said it.
'I have to go'
Before she could even open her mouth to respond he had vanished, leaving only curling wisps of black smoke on the sofa and a lost, empty sensation in the pits of her heart.

-------////

Hey peeps! Thanks for getting so far into the story, really hope you're enjoying it so far. Big developments here, and more coming up soon!
I'm on holiday at the moment so I'm updating pretty frequently, but I would love to hear what you want to see happen in the upcoming chapters... I'm a curious being, I can't help it! Please comment and I 100% promise I'll respond 😇

Thanks, hugs and love, Wren~