21. Finishing the Marathon

When the sunlight streaming through her bedroom window woke Sienna up the next morning, the uncomfortable feeling in her chest was still there.

Disappointment.

And, as if that feeling wasn't enough, it was soon accompanied by a heavy dread, that pulled Sienna back under the covers like a dead weight.

It had been an entire week since she had started training, and she had seen head nor tail of Reaper. That in itself was another thing to think about, the villain himself.
The big problem in all of this mess.

Wrapped up warm in her duvet, sunk into her mattress, Sienna couldn't bring herself to move for a few seconds, just wallowing in the warmth and secure comfort as if she had no cares in the world.
But, as part of Overwatch, I really do have all the world's problems now... on top of all my own.
Worrying inwardly, Sienna thought again.
But I guess those problems are one and the same.

///

Zarya was waiting as usual when Sienna arrived at the training grounds, gearing up for their normal run. They had a pretty standard routine now, and she could hear herself distantly replying to something her mentor had asked.
As they did their stretches together, Sienna's mind wandered away from her and Zarya's conversation, thinking about how to broach the subject of some... well, weapons training.

Suddenly feeling a pair of eyes on her, Sienna zoned back into the present moment to hear silence. Zarya was looking at her expectantly, with a bemused look on her face.

'So' the Russian woman spoke, 'what do you think?'

Drawing a complete blank, with no idea what the question was, Sienna took a guessing punt, frantically searching her brain for an answer.
'Um. Yes. I...think that's a good idea...?'

Mildly scared by the huge weightlifter, she swallowed loudly, shifting uncomfortably on her feet - but Zarya just laughed.

'Oh, Little Bird. You do make me laugh. What are you thinking about to make you so distracted?'

Suddenly thrown into the deep end of her problems, Sienna didn't know what to say.
'Oh, it's uh, it's nothing. Don't worry about it! I should really learn to focus better'
Putting on an obviously fake smile, the brunette inwardly cursed herself for not using the moment to talk to Zarya about it...

But the Overwatch member was having none of it.

'Hey now, you know you can talk to me right?'

With a few steps, Zarya was by Sienna's side, her huge hand dusting over her shoulder. Looking directly at her, she could see the worry in Zarya's clear eyes, reflecting back her own fears.

'I know I can seem scary, but I want the best for my student - my Little Bird.'

Not having seen this warm, overly caring side of Zarya before, Sienna couldn't help but be reminded of her past... her late mother. Something about the way Zarya spoke, honest and caring. A burst of confidence shot through her veins like a spark, banishing the memory.

'Zarya...' Sienna took a deep breath, trying to hold in her confidence. 'I feel like your training has helped me improve so much...'
Not sure how to phrase it, she spoke slowly. Turning to face her mentor directly, there was no backing out now.