40. Challenge Accepted

Ready to throw herself between Reaper and whoever he was arguing with, Sienna flung the door open, but her attempted fierce presence changed absolutely nothing in the room.

Jack's professional face was contorted with emotion as he argued his case, his words logical and orderly despite his clear opinion.
On the other hand, the other arguing party was not quite what Sienna had expected. Instead of a huge, billowing cloud of smoke and rage, was a small, Swedish man on a chair, flames dancing at his back as he barked fiercely back at the soldier.

By complete contrast, sat comfortably by Jack's side and sipping quietly on a cup of hot something, was Reaper. He clearly didn't notice her either as she barged through the door, and Sienna spied a hidden amusement bouncing behind his innocent facade.

Halted to a complete stop, Sienna couldn't believe her eyes as she watched Torbjorn and Soldier 76 argue in front of her, while her lover and former Talon operative was drinking coffee like a man on holiday.

'No, how do we know he was trying to protect her?' Torbjorn insisted, neither party giving Sienna any attention.

'For all we know this could be a part of his big plan to infiltrate! And here he is.' The dwarf grumbled, shooting suspicious eyes at the Talon member in question.

'You may not have been there to see it, but a lot of us were, Torbjorn. If you sit down to watch the recordings, you will see just how was reckless and suicidal for him to attempt what he did.'
Jack gestured to the man sat a little too comfortably next to him.

'There is no mistaking the reasons behind what he attempted, nor any other reason for what happened after. He has had ample chance to kill us all, and yet here we are.'

Torbjorn grumbled something under his breath, but seemed to be accepting of Jack's words at last. Turning to hop off the chair, both men noticed Sienna at last.
'Speaking of, here's the second culprit!' Torbjorn mocked, but as he left towards the door, he looked her in the eyes sincerely.
'I'm glad you're okay, Sienna.' He paused, before muttering under his breath 'Can't say the same for him, though'.

Silence drifted through the room for a moment after the mechanic left, letting Sienna attempt to digest everything.

It wasn't working.

Feeling more sick and confused than ever, the brunette simply stood, still in her hospital dressing gown, and waited for someone to explain.

And explain they did. At the same time, both Reaper and Soldier 76 spoke to her, cutting over each other's words until they stopped in synchronisation, glaring at each other.

Taking the minute opportunity, Reaper spoke up quickly.

'I'm leaving Talon to rejoin Overwatch'.

Sienna's eyes widened as she took in the unexpected information.
'You-... You're what?'

Before she could get very far on that thought, Jack pushed Reaper's shoulder.
'That's not yet decided. Hell, Reyes! All we were discussing is you staying here. Don't make leaps before you've even taken a step. It's not that easy.'

The leather clad man looked carefree and nonchalant, but Sienna could see something stirring him up inside.

He really wants this. He's... Nervous?

It wasn't an emotion that Sienna had expected to see and it took her aback. This meant a lot to him; after all, overwatch was his first family before Talon stepped in and stole him away, corrupting him for what everyone else thought was forever.
The more she thought about it, the more she understood. Reaper could never go back to Talon now, they would murder him in an instant... But neither could overwatch simply take him in after his actions to destroy them over the past years. His attempt to join could easily be seen as a way to redeem himself to Talon by wiping them out from the inside.

But Sienna knew that wasn't it. Something had changed within Reaper, she had seen the disgust in his eyes when he realised he had hurt her, the way his face twisted with pain as he held her broken body, even his hidden but clear respect for Jack and Winston during their talks.

Reaper and Jack were still talking, something irrelevant and unnecessary. Sienna realised what she wanted to say.

'You're not here to hurt us' Sienna spoke, as two pairs of surprised eyes turned their gaze towards hers.

Her own eyes bored through Reaper's owl skull, feeling him hold her attention through the mask.
'You know I wouldn't leave here with you'

Suddenly, Reaper dropped her gaze and looked away. Jack stayed silent, observing the interaction between the two.
'Am I right?'

The silence stretched just a little too long in the cold room as Reaper's clawed hands clenched.
He responded, finally, but the reluctance in his voice was piercingly obvious.
'I've seen the way you talk to everyone here.I know you. They're you're family now, I wouldn't take you away from that.' Reaper's voice was low and gravelled, like velvet drawn through stone.
'I don't care for good or bad, I've killed for glory and killed for fun... But I wont take you from your family, nor will I put you in the path of Talon outside these walls. I won't... I can't lose you again.' His voice didn't crack, but it didn't have to for Sienna to understand.

There was a short pause before Jack's voice cut through the air between them, breaking the thick tension.
'You will stay on trial. This is my final decision. At the end of a week it will be put to a vote.'
Jack turned to look at them both individually.
'If it were my choice alone, I would permit it. But as captain I have responsibilities to everyone in this compound.
I'm afraid, Reyes, you will have to prove yourself.'

Sienna quickly glanced back over to Reaper, catching the curling tendrils of smoke crawling up the table edges - but this wasn't the same nervous aura as before, this was something of a 'challenge accepted'.