27. Intoxicating

The sound of his foot taking a step on the hard wood floor snapped Sienna out of her daze.

Spinning round, Reaper's huge dark frame occupied her vision, seeing him as he leant casually against her wall.
A thick tension engulfed them both, quiet and heavy in the shadowy darkness.

An eternity seemed to pass between them, moments beginning and ending over and over, his voice still echoing endlessly around them both.
Reaper never was too patient, however, and as he leant forward off the wall Sienna snapped out of her daze; one hand slowly snaking behind her back to reach for her blade.

But as he spoke again, something in the tone of his voice was off.

'Ah, long time no see, Little Girl. Didn't you miss me?'

Sienna hadn't noticed it the first time; having been too busy hearing her own heart thump in her throat... But it was definitely noticeable now.
.... He's... Slurring his words?

Before Sienna could comprehend what that meant, it was forced on her as Reaper suddenly lurched forward unexpectedly. Startled by his sudden movement, Sienna took a step back and her leg collided with the bed, tripping her into half falling-half sitting down.

The bed creaked loudly, and the sound was deafening in the silence between them.

Seemingly surprised by the girl in front of him's reaction, Reaper stopped... and half wobbled on his feet.

And then it hit her. The smell.

Alcohol.

It was overpowering, and the scent seemed to cling to everything around her, penetrating her senses and stunning her momentarily.

But despite it all, the fear that Sienna felt just moments ago melted away instantly, only to be replaced with a sense of uneasiness and confusion that left her utterly at loss for what to do. Shifting slightly on the bed, she grappled with her brain for words as her free hand dug into the sheets below.

'Reaper... What are you-'
No, that's not it. Be direct, Sienna.
'Are you drunk, Reaper?'

Not moving at all, he ignored her completely and repeated himself, making an annoyed huffing sound.

'I asked you a question.'

'I...'
Sienna had no idea what to say.

What? Do I miss him?

Was this the same man she had treated day after day, all that time ago? Deep in her heart, Sienna knew that if she looked closely enough she would find an answer to his question that she really didn't want to think about at the moment. An undeniable truth that she'd realised since the day she left him. A truth that she now hated.

This is the man who wants to kill Soldier 76, and probably you. A murderer, Sienna. Just appease him so he doesn't kill you right this second. Bide your time, maybe you can take him out first.

But in truth, Sienna didn't believe that at all. At the same time, she couldn't lie to him either, nor could she bring herself to tell him the truth.

'I... I found myself thinking about how I would end up seeing you next '

As she said it, her right hand finally grasped the blade in her waistband, wrapping around it firmly. The cold metal of the handle was surprising, and it brought back some reality to the situation. Keeping her dark eyes focused straight on his pale mask, Sienna's heart was racing.

Reaper is here. He's drunk. You won't have an opportunity like this for a long time, Sienna.

The shadow walker grunted as if somewhat satisfied with her answer, before casually taking another step closer and leaning down to put himself at her height, as if examining her closely. His immense build blocked out the fading light from the window, and the brunette instantly knew it has her moment.

There was no plan, just pure instinct and gritted teeth as Sienna ripped the dagger round her side, slicing impossibly fast through the air towards his throat - but somehow, he was faster.

Before she could blink, the clattering of metal against the wooden floor signified her dagger being thrown across the room, and a clawed hand wrapped instantly around her wrist, dragging her onto her feet. The momentum of it knocked the breath out of her lungs, and as she finally took a ragged gasp of air, Sienna knew she'd fucked up.

When the dust finally settled, the sound of her own rushing blood was the only thing she could hear.

One arm was pinned against the small of her back, while the other was wrapped across her chest and neck, held there by Reaper's own leather clad arm pressing against her own. Her back pressed against him; there was no way she was getting out of this.

Shit.

Accepting her fate, Sienna squeezed her eyes closed in anger. How could I be so stupid?

Tensing her muscles experimentally, Sienna pushed against Reaper's heavy arms - but his response was only to push harder against her, pressing her body more closely into him.

Inhaling suddenly, instantly far too aware of how intimately close they were, a shiver ran up Sienna's spine that she prayed he didn't feel as her skin burned in embarrassment. Horrified at her own reaction to him, she closed her eyes even tighter, blocking out her feelings.

Feeling his chest rise and fall against her back made her heart race, and brought back unsettling memories of her hands working tirelessly on his wounds, settling into a rhythm that matched his breathing.

This close, the smell of alcohol was like a thick cloud around them both, yet at the same time Sienna couldn't help but recognise his own smell underneath the  drunken layers. Earthen and somehow... homely.

But before the intoxicating smell muddled up her senses too much, Sienna turned her head a fraction only to find Reaper's voice suddenly in her ear, soft and melodic, taunting and teasing the girl under his control.

'Now that wasn't very nice of you'

///
It's been way too long and I have no apologies except to offer all of you my entire heart. It's nice and fresh, pretty young. I'd say it's decent compensation for the wait </3
Anyhoo, I've finally finished exams and summer is here! I've actually got three chapters to publish (I split up one huge chapter) which I'll release all within a day or so (or all today if I finish editing). They kind of all need to go together which is why I waited for all of them to be done - but I hope you guys like them!

WOO LOOK REAPER

(FINALLY)

- all my love as always, Wren xxx