Chapter 04

EVERYTHING WAS TIMED perfectly.

Exactly twelve hours later, loud footsteps began to echo down the corridors, accompanied by the clinking of the meta keys. There was even a joyful whistle that was paired along, drifting through the cracks of the door. There was a thump that resounded, originating from a short distance away from their cell. However, the footsteps continued shortly after, the whistling brought to an end.

Devora grinned. She had collected the remaining pieces of the food the guards had thrown them, all rejected wastes that were unwanted by the rest of the captives. Armed, she crept behind the door, ready to face her opponent.

The door slowly creaked open and the shadow of a man stepped in. Hand raised and ready to attack, Devora stepped slightly out of her hiding spot. Across the room, Travis's eyes widened, lips pressed in an attempt to muffle his own words of caution. In his hands were Leah and Tammy, huddled close to his chest. There was a glint in Travis's eyes that Devora had missed. Something sparked across those irises, realization shooting through as his breath got caught in his throat.

In one swift motion, Devora stepped completely out of her hiding place before swinging her arm forward as quickly as possible, launching the revolting piece of food at the man. The cookie soared through the air but before it made contact, the man had swerved, easily avoiding the projectile while still keeping his face out of view. His back was faced towards Devora but he easily steered clear of the incoming object as though eyes had grown out of the back of his head.

Groaning in annoyance, Devora proceeded to throw the rest of her ammunition, aiming for tender places. Yet, just as before, the man effortlessly sidestepped them without even breaking a sweat. From the light that shone through from the corridor, Devora thought she saw a hint of a smirk on the man's face. Unfortunately, it was gone before she could double-confirm, his lips covered up yet again by the shadows through the help of smart angling.

Out of weapons in her hands, the desperate girl rushed forward before she swung her leg up into what she thought would be a perfectly executed roundhouse kick. Still, the man was ahead of her movements as though every single one of her thoughts was attached to her forehead in bold letters. He had anticipated her actions, his long, slender fingers wrapped tightly around her ankles, holding her leg in place before it hit his face.

Alarmed, Devora tried to yank her own leg free but the man's grip was much stronger than she could ever be, keeping her in place despite how she struggled. Unnerved by her failure, Devora threw Travis a look, silently begging for assistance. Yet, instead of help, she was greeted by the sight of Leah staring off dreamily at the man that had so deftly kept Devora in check.

Thrown off guard and curious, Devora turned to find herself face to face with the man, her leg still held in an awkward position as evidence of her failure of a kick. Instead of a gruff appearance she had already long associated with her kidnappers, Devora's line of sight crashed with a young man's that wore mischief like a trending accessory. He grinned cheerfully and in amusement, brown eyes glittering with flecks of gold as he peered out from behind his fringe. Unlike those other men that Devora had come across while captive, this youngster was significantly less bulky. He was on the leaner side with light muscles adorning his arm, features still youthful and bright.

He blew a light whistle through his pink-tinted lips, a smirk gracing his features.

"That was a sloppy kick," he said. His words brought red embarrassment to Devora's cheeks, making her flush. She was still gaping at the boy as he continued to speak, stunned by the bluntness of his words. "Might want to duck down in five," he warned.

After stating that, he dropped Devora's leg. Before she could stand properly, he looped an arm around her waist, bringing his spare hand over to shield her head before he slammed both of them to the ground in a blur of movements. Using his own body to protect her, Devora barely even had time to scream before an explosion tore through the building, sending dust and debris flying in every direction.