Chapter 34

DEVORA WAS AT the gym again for the next three days after Nathan had explained their plans to the rest of the team. Her training had been stricter, fiercer, as she tried to whip herself into better shape for the impending conflict. She was in the middle of practicing her punches when Markus peeked through the gym door.

The little boy's hair was neatly combed back, his small body dressed in a neat suit unfitting for his age paired with a bowtie. Markus looked so out of place as he walked past the older, bulkier, brawnier people that filled the gym but his walk didn't lack any confidence. His chin was tilted high, back rod-straight, and his steps relaxed but swift.

At the sight of him, Devora smiled in delight.

"Good afternoon, Mark," she greeted. She then followed it up with a question, a bright, amused smile dancing on her lips as she held the punching bag in its place to prevent it from swinging back and forth. "Is it time for tea again?"

"Precisely at 3 o'clock, just like every other day," came Markus's equally bubbly reply.

From across the room, Nathan was sending heated gazes their way. Devora could feel Nathan's eyes searing holes into her skin, practically scrutinizing her every movement. Grinning, she reached her right hand out for the child to hold. Almost too eagerly, Markus's hand rose to grasp hers. The two people were out of the room after, a skip in their steps as the door closed behind them.

All the while, Nathan's eyes didn't once leave Devora's figure. He kept staring until the duo had gone too far out of sight, long curved the corridor and into the shadow.

A few seconds after, Leah threw her last knife against the practice board. She had been practicing with Nathan and Dallas, away from Devora since they were doing different exercises. Smirking, her eyes needn't even leave the board and she knew Nathan hadn't once looked away from the gym doors.

"Close your mouth, Nathan," she snarkily warned. "You might catch a fly or two in there."

"Well, what do ya know," Dallas mused, suppressing a chuckle. "The little lad's got more charm in him than our big man, our leader, the great Nathaniel Jerald."

Dallas received a deadly glare from Nathan and a knife thrown right by his ear almost immediately after.

"Shut the hell up, Dallas."

♕♕♕

Taking the last sip of the fruity tea in her cup, Devora settled the porcelain teacup back onto the table with a satisfied sigh and a clink. The sugary sweet tea still lingered on her lips, faintly perfuming the air she breathed in.

"So, how has your day been, Mark?"

"Father bought me a new board game yesterday after dinner. Although, I'm not quite sure what I can do with the game since I'm usually by myself after our daily tea. I don't want to complain or seem whiny but...," he hesitated. "I would've much preferred if he had gotten some books for me instead or simply spent some time away from his work. Still, I'm just glad that he thought of me enough in a day to get me something."

Devora frowned.

"Your father loves you more than he shows, Markus. He's just... a very busy man."

"Busy taking lives," Markus corrected. "I sometimes wonder why my father would accept such a job. It's inhumane."

Although Devora partly agreed with young Markus's words, the other side of her — the one that knew better — wanted to argue and speak up in defense for Julius Cain. She, too, had the same train of thoughts once upon a time. However, with each passing day and each passing mission, she started to see the flip side of things.