Chapter 25

IT HAD BEEN months since Devora had last seen Liam Pine. Back then, he was a recurring nightmare that Devora had to face every single day in school, a scene that she couldn't wake up from. Thinking back now, Devora couldn't understand why she was so smitten by the boy. He might be handsome but he made life a living hell for her. There was no sane reason why Devora would cling onto the emotion as though it was her last lifeline.

Safe to say, Devora no longer held any feelings for the boy other than nostalgia and maybe even hatred. When she had caught his name on the case file Julius Cain had thrown at her team, she couldn't even help herself but smirk at the coincidence of it all.

After longing for her old life, something from her past had finally arrived to greet her, albeit not in the way she had originally desired.

A part of Devora wanted to be the one to end Liam Pine's life. After all, he was one of the main reasons why she was in such a mess in the first place. If he had been nicer, if he had been kinder with his words, or if he had just ignored her altogether, she might still be home, safe, untainted. However, she was now awash with red, a stain in her record that could never be wiped away. Devora blamed it all on Liam Pine.

Another side of Devora wanted to let him live. However, it would also go against the orders she had received from her higher-ups. After all, Liam Pine was still someone from her old life. He was someone Devora once thought was a prince, dazzling and bright like the morning sun. He was always surrounded by that grand aura that came with his appearances.

Of course, everything Devora liked about him was as superficial as it came. She finally understood now that it wasn't love or even a liking. It was just a sickening infatuation that messed with her head and corrupted her heart. It wasn't worth her time. Back then, she hadn't known what real love was— not between friends and not between lovers. It was easy to mistake any and everything as that sacred emotion.

The sky darkened ominously, storm clouds gathering in dense packs until the world above was nothing but navy-gray. Their team of four had been patiently waiting for the perfect time to strike and the oncoming rain would provide a desirable shield and shelter from the patrolling guards' eyes. There was no better time to make their move.

Once she received the green light from Nathan and Dallas, Devora slipped past the shrubs, sliding quickly into the building after slamming both guards in the face with the point of her elbow. Since they hadn't seen her coming, they went down without a fight and much noise. Careful not to let their bodies slam on the ground and create a ruckus, Devora carefully caught both their limp bodies, laying them down gently so that no sound would echo.

Not wasting time, Devora pulled the two pistols out of the guards' holsters, slipping them into her own pockets before dashing down the corridors as silently as she could.

"Find the main office and kill both Pine and Ursula Trucker. Travis will take care of the rest of the guards so don't go out of the way for them. Dallas and I will locate Horace Trucker and meet up with you shortly. Be very careful. Remember what you've learned." Those were the parting words Nathan had left her.

Her mission had been clearly explained to her and she had no intention to fail it. It was a fairly simple task. Devora didn't have to handle all of the lower-ranked men alone nor did she have to assassinate the boss of a crime syndicate. If anything, Devora might even say that her task was the more enjoyable one out of the three given options.

It didn't take long for Devora to locate the doors to the main office. The building plans that they had received served her well and it was a breeze for her to navigate her way through the winding hallways and maze-like turns. Each and every detail was provided by the mole that had been planted in the gang months prior, including the access code needed to enter the office.