Chapter 22

ADRENALINE RUSHED THROUGH Leah's veins like buzzing electricity, making her visibly tremble with excitement. After she had been fed tales of what Battlefield Arena was and after witnessing the previous match between Henrick Young and Farrah Graver, Leah craved for the prestigious title that came with winning her match.

She always had a reason to fight and now, she simply had a stage to showcase it. Leah wanted to prove to Julius Cain that he had not brought her spirit down despite everything that man had put her through. It was obvious to her back then that the older man had wanted to crack her clean open. After all, she was nothing but a child that seemed too bratty to keep up with the rest of her family.

However, her family was now left in shambles.

Tammy Lane was dead, her parents were most likely grieving the 'deaths' of their three children, and Travis and herself were kept in a city far from home.

Ultimately, Julius Cain succeeded. That was because there was no way for Leah to survive in this world filled with lurking dangers if she didn't change. She had to adapt to her surroundings. It was time for her to grow up.

When the bell finally rang after many torturous minutes, Leah was already in her starting stance, assessing her opponent. Her gaze inevitably still fell on Matilda June's weaker leg, watching it limp just slightly whenever she placed her weight on it. It was a perfect advantage for Leah but by no means was she about to make the same mistake as Henrick Young did. Leah Lane would not underestimate her opponent.

Training under Candice meant that Leah had long memorized the golden rule of their trade. It was kill or be killed, no other options.

Leah moved first. She plunged forward, rushing at full speed. Matilda June reacted fairly quickly, thrusting out her right leg in an attempt to kick Leah to a stop. Unfortunately, Leah had fast reflexes. Once she noticed the kick coming, she dipped to her knees, bending her back backward as she neatly slid across the floor under June's outstretched leg. Wasting no time, she placed a palm on the ground to prevent herself from sliding too far away. With one leg kicked out, Leah aimed for the back of June's left knee.

"Ah!" Matilda June screamed as she lost her balance, collapsing to the ground as the crowd echoed 'ooh's and 'aah's.

Even so, it wasn't enough yet. Matilda June might be on the ground but she was still conscious. The competition was far from over and Leah wasn't finished.

Before her opponent could find the strength or chance to get back up, Leah tugged hard on June's left leg. Perhaps it was because Matilda June's left leg had an old injury that never quite healed, perhaps it was because Leah had used too much strength, or perhaps it was a mixture of both but when Leah yanked, June's leg cracked loudly. It was paired with her sickening shrieks of agony, reverberating through the arena. It rivaled even the sound of the gasps and cheers from the crowd, drowning them out with the young girl's blood-curdling screeches.

"Heh," Leah scoffed in delight, her lips curling at the sight of Matilda June clawing at the floor, desperate to get away. "I'm not done yet."

Too engrossed in knocking her opponent out, Leah couldn't even hear Travis screaming his throat hoarse, his voice lost in the crowd. He yelled at the top of his lungs, begging for his sister to stop with her violent ways but all of his words fell on deaf ears. Leah was far too entranced by the euphoria that came with inflicting pain.

June had begun to push her upper torso off the ground, attempting to drag her own body away from Leah. However, before she could get far, Leah sat on June's back. The sudden weight caused Matilda June's quivering weak body to drop back down flat, her chin plummeting onto the ground.