Chapter 36

THE FIRST THREE fights in the arena flew past without a single hitch in the plan. Three agents from three separate fights got knocked out by their opponent, leaving their unconscious — but thankfully not dead — body to be dragged away from the ring and towards the infirmary.

Travis was excited. He had gone a long way since his arrival to this company and for months he trained with one of the most skilled in the entire organization. Dallas taught Travis everything he knew, hoping that one day it would protect him from any possible danger. However, Travis was planning to use his skills beyond self-preservation.

He was prepared to use his skills to kill. Unlike Leah, Travis didn't care if there was a crowd or not.

"Who even chooses the people for the matches?" At his side, Leah was going on and on about her own match for today. "Do they really expect me to fight Candice? We're best friends. And even if we aren't, I wouldn't be able to knock her out even if I wanted to. There wouldn't be much of a show to watch. Besides, we're supposed to be working right now. How does Julius Cain expect us to protect him and perform a show for him to watch at the same time?"

"You won your previous match by a large margin and everyone saw it," Travis reminded her. "They expect you to be good at what you do by now."

Their movements were quick, brother and sister shoving their way past the crowd and towards the ring.

"Candice taught me everything I know. She'll drop me to the ground in seconds. All the tricks I used in the previous match are hers!"

"Like you said, they want a show. So, just give them one," Travis replied nonchalantly. Truthfully, he wasn't even properly listening to Leah's complaints. He was too fixated on his own match up instead. "But it's still Candice you're fighting out there. You may be best friends but be careful not to let your guard down. She can pack a solid punch. Your cheeks will be bruising for days to come."

Nerves weren't the ones starting to fray in Travis's body. Rather, it was pure adrenaline. Leon Gray had killed his little sister and hell had offered a method of revenge in the form of this match. It was time to take revenge.

"Gee, thanks, Travis. I sure can't take care of myself despite how I was the one that rescued you when you got beaten up in various different alleys all those months ago," Leah sarcastically replied. She folded her arms across her chest, one eyebrow arched higher than the other as she sneered.

It was as if the air immediately softened after their playful exchange. Finally, a smile started to show on Travis's lips.

"Hey there, don't get cocky, alright? Besides, I would like to see those goons come at me now."

Tightening the laces of his boots, he rose back up and gave Leah a little supportive pat on the shoulder before the roaring crowd ushered him back to their current surroundings. His name flashed brilliantly across the jumbotron, signaling that it was the start of his match.

Weapons weren't allowed in the fight but Travis knew better than to miss the chance. Losing wasn't an option since he was a part of a bigger plan than just a simple fighting match for mere entertainment. His knuckles were bandaged up nicely with some gauze, just enough to hide the fact that he was wearing brass knuckles underneath. It was much sleeker than the usual ones, thin and yet pointed enough to break the skin if enough force was applied to it.

Just as planned, Julius Cain was up in the viewing box with little Markus safely out of sight with Devora and Nathan. Candice and Dallas were both with their superior, hidden behind the glass. Although if it were a usual day, Travis would've rushed to find Dallas to give him a reassuring smile, his eyes found Candice's directly this time.