Chapter 20

LOUD MUSIC BLASTED through the arena speakers, the vibration scourging through Devora's veins the second they entered the dark room. They followed the long passageway, the music and cheering growing louder and louder before light finally spilled into their line of view, shining down on a single fighting ring set right in the center.

Thousands of rows of seats lined the space, some of which were raised up in a manner so that the people in those seats could see the stage better. In total, the entire venue took up four whole levels and was single-handedly the largest room that could be found in their headquarters. There was even a VIP viewing box at the highest level, looking down at the ring. Unlike the other seats, the VIP room was sealed off, separated by a piece of glass. The venue looked like it came straight out of her television, a live broadcast of a professional wrestling match.

"Woah," Leah gasped from beside her, soaking in the sights. "Look at all these people."

Her older brother stood beside her, equally starstruck. They had bumped into each other on their way to the gathering point, hence continuing their journey together into the arena.

The siblings had every right to be stunned silly by the crowd. The sea of bodies was roaring, energy fizzing through the air like electricity during a lightning storm. There had to be hundreds of people packed into the venue, most of them already seated while some others hovered around the ring, chatting with acquaintances. It seemed like everyone that was in headquarters had been jammed into one room and thankfully, the monstrous venue could fit everyone and more. Most of the seats within the first level were filled but the second through fourth levels were mainly empty.

"I didn't know there was such a big room here," Devora commented in awe, pivoting where she stood so that she could look around her.

"This is headquarters." Dallas shrugged. "Sometimes, certain events are held here and all other agents that work in the other branches across the country will have to gather here. The room is built to accommodate everyone."

"And what about the agents in other countries?" Travis asked.

"Those are sparse in numbers." Waving his words off, Candice placed a hand on her hip. "Usually no more than twenty people at most and they're led by other leaders carefully appointed by Cain. I guess you can say that while they're considered part of us, they still mainly operate individually in accordance with their countries' governments."

"Cool," Leah sighed in awe, her lips parting as she soaked in the sights once more. "This building sure is bigger on the inside than you would think when viewing it from the outside."

As her friends continued their conversation about the arena and the organization's structure, Devora allowed her eyes to wander. For a moment, they landed on a single brown-haired boy who was speaking to the commentator. When she caught sight of him, she halted, her eyes unwaveringly staring as if she was stuck in a trance.

Nathan must've felt her staring at him because he turned to look back shortly after, his pupils searching the crowd for the person burning down the back of his neck. Their gazes finally connected for the first time in far too long, staying locked together despite the distance that separated them.

It had been a while since their last friendly exchange. Just a simple look from Nathan sent Devora's stomach churning uncomfortably. A part of her longed to reach out, to make the first move and apologize for the childish cold war she had raged. However, there was also another side of her that didn't want to give in and bow down.

"Looks like they're about to announce the pairs," Dallas muttered, gesturing to the giant digital boards that dangled right above the stage. The four screens were large and catered to all corners of the crowd no matter where the audience sat.