Chapter 27

WHEN DEVORA'S FIST made contact with the punching bag, she did not recoil sharply like she did when she had first started her training. Instead, she kept on going, pummeling the bag as if she was venting all of her frustrations into that lifeless object. It swung from the ceiling it was hung, swaying back and forth slightly due to the force of her actions but never enough to hit the other people in the gym.

It seemed to be something most of the organization's agents did, anyway. More often than not, the gym would serve as an outlet to vent one's vexations rather than to build and train their own body. That was another silent agreement between all agents.

"Calm down," a familiar mocking voice echoed into the room. "The bag is going to burst if you keep going at it like that. If it does, you're cleaning up."

Devora sucked in a sharp breath, preparing herself for another strike. Instead of allowing her fist to make contact with the punching bag, she spun out her feet instead in a last-minute kick. It was, however, directed at the speaker. The latter dodged easily, avoiding Devora's surprise attack as if she had foreseen it from miles away. Fluidly, she dropped down to the floor, kicking out her leg and using it to swipe at Devora's feet. Just like that, Devora had lost her balance, kissing the ground in an embarrassing thud.

"Getting sloppy, Evans."

"Cut me some slack, Candice," Devora groaned as Candice chuckled merrily. The former raised a hand, covering her face with her bandaged palm. "You're the reigning queen of those monthly competitions. Taking you down with my level of experience is as ludicrous as... as asking Nathan to drop down on one knee and propose this very second. Ridiculous and impossible."

"Actually, if it was to you, I think he just might do it," a new voice humored, causing Devora to peek through the gaps between her fingers.

Leah wore a cheeky smile as she approached, her smile bright and witty.

"Don't plant ideas into her head, Leah," Candice light-heartedly chastised. "She might just fall hopelessly in love with our darling Nathaniel. And like I always say, this place isn't a good one for love to bloom."

Devora raised a brow, silently urging Candice to continue with her explanation when she stayed silent for a second too long. Candice's smile grew heavy, grim, and even a little dark. The corners no longer lifted as easily and it instead fell back down until her lips were almost a thin, straight line.

"And why?" Leah prompted out loud.

"There's too much death in these walls," came Candice's haunting reply. Then, she brightened up like a flower under beaming rays of glorious golden sunlight, as if all the despondency from before was nothing but a farce. "It's not very auspicious."

"It's hard to find love here anyway," Leah spoke between gritted teeth, biting down on her hair tie as she pulled the strands of her hair into a ponytail. When she finally fixed her hairstyle, she sighed, shaking her head with a disappointed shrug. "Everyone here looks old as hell."

"Oh, don't let Dallas hear that. His poor fragile maiden heart might not be able to take it," Candice chortled. Shaking her head, she diverted her attention back to Devora, her shoulders heaving up and down as she took in a deep breath before letting it out. "Honestly, Devora, I hope you have the eyes to see things clearly. Nathan... It's so obvious that he will move mountains for you."

Devora was about to deny it, to shrug it off like they were wrong but Leah quickly interjected before she could say anything in opposition.

"It's obvious, Devora, really," the younger girl insisted. "We girls don't miss it when a look like that appears before our eyes. In his, you're the only one that exists."