Chapter 24

WHEN DAWN FINALLY broke, Nathan was already up and ready, fully decked out in all his gear before Devora had even awoken. She still slept peacefully in bed, tucked under her covers like a baby. Asleep, she wore a pure and innocent expression that was still untainted by the horrors of her current reality.

Deep down, Nathan blamed himself for what happened to Devora. He was partly at fault for dragging her into the life of blood-soaked hands and crimson-tainted records. For all the red that dyed Devora's palms both now and in the future, Nathan carried half the burden. If he hadn't brought her here, if he had gone against his orders and snuck her back to her family, perhaps she wouldn't have had to live the life of an assassin.

However, Nathan also knew it was impossible. Even if Nathan hadn't brought her back to headquarters, Julius Cain would've sent someone in his place to complete the job. Devora Evans had been marked long ago. There was no escape from the fate that was long entwined with her life.

On the flip side, he was still grateful for the opportunity to meet her. It was such a selfish thought. Meeting Devora had allowed him to experience a different sort of heart-racing and blood-pounding as compared to what he experienced on the field. They were both equally dangerous but unlike his missions, the way his heart raced when around her was serenely divine.

He might even be addicted to it.

Submerged deep in his thoughts, Nathan hadn't even noticed that Devora had already awoken from her slumber. She rubbed the sleep out of her eyes, an eyebrow raised questioningly due to his blatant staring.

"Is there something wrong?" She asked, her voice still hoarse and tinted with drowsiness.

Her words finally slapped Nathan out of his trance, causing him to jolt to attention as he shook his head fervently.

"Just..." he trailed off, hesitating. He wasn't sure what a proper reply would be since there was no way he would tell her his candid thoughts. "I was just wondering how today will go. It is your first mission, after all."

For a second there, Devora's face softened. In her expression, Nathan found a snippet of who she once was— the girl that he had first rescued, starry-eyed and dreamy. But the moment of weakness hadn't lasted. It crumbled away as quickly as it came, morphing into the look she accessorized herself with after months of polishing.

A confident smirk curved her sensual lips, the corners quirked up as she climbed out of bed gracefully.

"We've had loads of practice to prepare us for this day. It will be fine."

Softly, her feet padded across the carpeted floor. Nathan's eyes trailed after her sultry figure, his throat suddenly dry as he stared at the way her thin nightwear clung to the curves of her body. Clearing his throat awkwardly, he ran a hand through his hair as he sat down at the corner of his bed while waiting for her to wash up and get dressed behind the privacy of their bathroom door.

"Do you even know who we're going after?" He asked, slouching a little. Nathan had read through the files beforehand. There was a rather interesting figure present in today's mission. At the very least, that person managed to catch Nathan's attention.

The sound of the running tap echoed from behind the closed door. Soon enough, it was followed by the sounds of bristles as she brushed her teeth.

"I've heard of him before, if that's what you're asking," she replied. "I can't wait to put a bullet through his skull."

Devora spoke no words for a while and the room was only filled with the noises that came from the running tap.

Once the door opened again and the sounds ceased, Devora emerged from the bathroom fully dressed. Her arms were raised as she pulled her hair into a sleek ponytail, a hair tie clasped between her teeth as she combed down the strands.