Chapter 21

TRAVIS LANE WASN'T just anxious. He was downright terrified. When his younger sister's name was called out, he felt trembles all the way down to his very bones.

It had been four months since his baby sister Tammy Lane had been ruthlessly murdered. Now, less than half a year later, his other younger sibling might just get herself killed in a fighting competition if she was to drop her guard for even a fraction of a second. Travis would've had to be cold-blooded to not feel alarmed by that.

Just in front of him, Leah had started to jump on the spot as a warm-up for the battle ahead. Before she got the chance to climb the steps to the stage, she was stopped by a quick hand that belonged to Devora. The young brunette leaned down, her dark hair covering her face slightly like a curtain as she whispered into Leah's ears.

At that sight, Travis made a face. Those words that Devora spoke into Leah's ears in hushed murmurs were most likely not words of mere encouragement. Through the long hours of training, Leah had grown a hard exterior that matched those of diamonds. She glimmered like the gemstone, a rare talent that was deadly sharp and tough. Devora, too, had developed an outer shell that was just as sturdy. Both girls were no longer as innocent and naive as they once were.

That was why Travis had a feeling that Devora's words were vile and sinister, definitely nothing saintly nor honorable. Then again, all was fair in love and war. If that was needed for Leah to win, then so be it. They were all tainted souls, after all. He didn't mind turning into a vessel of sins as long as he could best his foes.

Leah's opponent, Matilda June, had already made her way onto the stage. The other girl was stretching out her legs, bending down to touch her toes before repeating the actions to stretch out her muscles. Her hesitance in reaching for her left side brought a smile to the girls' faces. After all, a point of weakness had just been discovered. That was something to rejoice over.

He strained his ear, sneaking over to listen in on what Devora had to say. Nathan did the same, although Devora paid both guys no mind.

"She's small," Devora commented, pulling Leah closer to her. "So she might be as agile and quick on her feet as Farrah Graver. But do you see what I see?"

"What?" Leah asked, glancing over in the direction which Devora was staring hard at. When she realized what Devora was referring to, Leah's lips quirked. "Oh," she hummed, delighted. "I see it. A limp."

"Exactly." Devora nodded. "She probably injured her leg a while back but it didn't heal properly. We're all street kids, anyway. It wouldn't be out of the ordinary to have a few scuffles here and there while we were still out and about."

"What an unfortunate handicap to have," Leah mused. "Any advice?"

"Aim low," Devora responded. "Go for her left side. Keep her off balance. She'll topple like a house of cards."

From behind the two girls, Nathan was examining Devora with a small frown etched upon his features. Unlike Travis, he wasn't worried about Leah at all. He had seen the two competitors practice on their own separate terms and Leah's skill was leaps and bounds greater than Matilda June's. Although Leah was best when equipped with blades that allowed her to slice through targets like they were made of paper, she also had efficient footwork. She had long mastered the art of balance and had found the equilibrium between brute force and agility.

On the other hand, Matilda June was a fresh recruit. It was rather unfortunate for her to be placed in the competition so quickly after initiation. Although she had proven herself to be skilled in the gym, she was nowhere near the level where Leah stood. The former was too jittery— a scared little snail that hadn't emerged from her shell until just last month, three whole weeks after she had been recruited. What's more, Matilda June's mentor wasn't anyone extraordinary while Leah was kept under the wing of the best fighter in the organization.

Unfortunately for Matilda June, the match was concluded before it had even begun. There was no way for her to triumph over Leah.

Nathan wasn't sure why he felt so uncomfortable with how Devora pointed out June's weakness for Leah. Perhaps it was because a part of him couldn't match the two versions of Devora— the girl he had rescued and the girl that now stood before him. She talked about Matilda June's inefficient leg so casually, almost too joyfully at that.

Then again, he hadn't known Devora for long before she was recruited. Had she always been like that? Had she always been so detached to the lives and wellbeing of others that were of no significance to her? Or was the kind and thoughtful girl mere wishful thinking, a mirage that Nathan had fooled himself into imagining Devora was?

Once Leah had made her way towards the steps, Nathan pulled Devora back by her upper arm.

"Why did you point that out to her?" He harshly whispered, his eyebrows knitted together.

"This is a knockout competition." Devora shrugged nonchalantly.

Her eyes were devoid of life, no longer brimming with excitement like when she was talking to Leah. She was still mad at Nathan, it seemed. Of course she was. Nathan had merely forgotten about their cold war for a moment there.

"Leah is my friend and I want her to win," she continued. "Wouldn't it be most efficient to help her detect her opponent's weaknesses?"

"Well, yes, but—"

"Then that's that," Devora interrupted Nathan, leaving no room for him to retort. "There's no 'but's."

Nathan's lips were still parted, opening and closing although no words came to his aid. In contrast, Devora stood her ground, glaring at Nathan almost as if she was daring him to reply anything other than his agreement. Ultimately, the staredown was broken when Dallas came over, pulling Nathan away by his shoulder rather forcefully. Only then had the two turned away from each other, the tension still present.

"It's starting," Dallas said, gesturing to the stage, obviously trying to steer the conversation in a different direction.

Instead of looking at the stage where the commentator was introducing the two fighters, Nathan found his line of sight wandering back to where Devora stood. Her back was straight, chin was raised, and eyes were fierce. Perhaps the soft and demure girl was all a mere piece of fantasy that never existed. In front of him now was a girl that was tough as nails, brilliant as the sun but as mysterious as the moon. Nathan finally realized that was the real Devora— someone he could never truly figure out.

 Nathan finally realized that was the real Devora— someone he could never truly figure out

————

social media:

instagram: twelvewonderingstars (personal: aurorayeo)

twitter: aurorayeo

facebook: twelvewonderingstars