Chapter 38

DEVORA SAT IN the helicopter, her heeled boot constantly tapping against the ground in annoyance as each second ticked past. Nathan had left about five minutes ago to retrieve Travis, Leah, and Candice, cursing during his whole trip down towards the area. It was, of course, all for good reason. No one had seen it coming that three members of their team would be pitched in a match. While thankfully the two siblings didn't have to fight each other, Leah was still pitched with Candice of all people. Candice Clair was a skilled and very experienced fighter.

In her heart, Devora prayed that Leah would be alright. Even though Candice and Leah were partners and good friends, Candice wasn't exactly known for being merciful in battle. In fact, in her last mission together with Dallas, Candice had left him behind to save her own life. If there was anything sure about Candice, her sense of self-preservation was stronger than her sense of righteousness.

And that fact was something Devora was very afraid of.

"Is my father alright?" A small quaking voice asked, making Devora peel her eyes away from the staircase that led to the rooftop.

Turning over to face Markus, who sat in the backseat with his seatbelt long fastened, Devora braved a smile for him.

"He will be fine, Mark. There's no need to worry. Dallas is with him. Besides, your father is a very experienced fighter. If he survived this far, it's for a good reason."

While Markus seemed fairly satisfied with Devora's answer and had looked out of the window once more, she herself didn't know if she did a convincing act. Julius Cain was an experienced fighter, yes, that much couldn't be more true. However, so were the assassins that wanted him six feet underground cold and dead. If anything, Devora soon found herself offering her last prayer to someone that had ripped her away from her old life, someone she had hated in the beginning but eventually grew to empathize with.

The ground below the helicopter shook, a rumble resounding across the building as Devora sat up straighter with attention. It didn't need a trained eye to realize that the building was close to collapsing and everyone left within it when that disaster happens will not live to see the next sunrise.

She cursed under her breath, just once and soft enough so that Markus wouldn't be able to hear her. Although she had every faith in Nathan and Travis to bring Leah back safely, she wasn't too sure about her own capabilities in successfully flying them away from the doomed structure.

Thankfully, they weren't in the heart of a thriving city. When the building goes down, it probably wouldn't claim the lives of innocent citizens outside.

"Are they here yet?" Markus asked again and this time, Devora could hear urgency leaking from his voice.

He must've noticed the trembles and had started to grow afraid. He had every right to be. Even Devora could feel her fear trickling into every corner and crevice of her body, threatening to destroy her calm facade.

"Soon, Markus, soon. Don't worry. I promised that I won't let anything happen to you and I intend to keep that promise."

She had every intention to keep her word and protect Markus at all costs. If, and just if, Nathan didn't make it back in time with the rest of their friends, she was bound by her promise to ensure Markus would be safe. That would mean she would have to leave her friends behind to die. Devora didn't wish to think negatively but she had already prepared herself for the worst.

Luckily, there wasn't a need for that.

"That's them there!" The little boy was elated as he exclaimed, nearly jumping from his seat had it not been for the seatbelts that strapped him down.