Chapter 35

THE NEXT FIVE days passed by much faster than Devora had initially anticipated. Julius Cain's words had struck a chord in Devora. He had spoken so dearly of his son that it allowed Devora to see him, someone she once thought was a cruel monster, in a completely different light than before. In the bones, Cain was still a father before he was anything else. He adored his only living kin.

After knowing what was truly inside the terrifying man's mind, Devora wore to protect Markus with her own life. After all, Cain still had a chance to make things right with his son. Markus ought to know how much his father cared for him.

"Father told me to stay with you today," Markus stated, his fingers fidgeting around the hems of his small blazer as they walked towards the arena in preparation for the start of the match.

The rest of the team were already in their respective positions, guarding each designated area as previously assigned. Nathan, on the other hand, had been too worried about Devora's safety to leave her side, something she thought was refreshingly cute. When he had insisted on coming along with her, she couldn't deny how her heart had skipped a beat and cooed.

"This has something to do with the recent threats against him, right?" The young boy continued to ask.

Devora frowned, her forehead creasing as she struggled for a reply. It hadn't been her plan to explain to Markus about what was happening within the company. After all, it would be best for the child to grow up clueless about the way his father's earnings came about. Learning about murders, assassination plots, and the dark side of government politics wouldn't exactly make for the best education for a young sprout.

However, Markus was too astute for his age. He already knew.

"We're just here to keep you safe, buddy." Swooping in to her rescue, Nathan smiled gently at the boy. "Your dad wanted to keep you out of trouble and away from any possible fights. You mean a lot to him."

"Mhm," Devora made a sound of agreement. "He might not seem like it but he is concerned about you. After this tides over, give him a chance. Talk it out."

Markus stayed silent, his tiny hands clenched into fists down his sides as he marched forward like the true soldier his father had trained him to be. His fidgeting had stopped, easing to a halt as they appeared in the room that held the event's battles. Just like that, the young, scared boy was gone and was replaced with a poised mask Markus always wore.

Just like how Devora had remembered the place to be, the area was filled with so much life and pure noise that the air positively buzzed with energy. Men and women were seated in the stands, all cheering loudly as the jumbotron buzzed to life. It started with an unclear pixelated image before visible words started to form, listing all the names of the fighters down one by one in order.

From where she stood, Devora bit on her lip lightly in anticipation. Her eyes were not fixed on the television but rather the crowd, scanning for any suspicious activity that might prove to be of threat.

"Oh no," Nathan murmured from beside her.

Although the crowd seemed just as normal as the previous fighting event did, Devora's eyes were still met with a surprise when she turned back to face the screen. The names on the board were bright, crystal clear. She sucked in a breath through her teeth, hissing when she realized who was pitched up for the fight.

All at once, her heart dropped.

♕♕♕

The names of the fighters dashed across the television screen, causing Leah to jump slightly in her spot. Her rifle leaned against the wall, one of her hands holding it in place. The metal was cool to touch against her bare skin, cold and unnerving just like how a weapon of death should be.