Chapter 33

THE SUN'S RAYS had barely even begun to lick the grounds of the earth when Devora had awoken from her slumber. She was in deep sleep, her mind still hazy with exhaustion when she sat up. If it weren't for the noise that had resounded in the room, she would've preferred to sleep in a little later, stealing just a few more moments before officially rising for the day.

Rubbing her eyes, Devora allowed them to slowly adjust to the light provided by the half-risen sun. She glanced across the room, scanning the space for the source of the commotion. There, in all his glory, was a disheveled and sweat-soaked boy sneaking into the toilet of their shared room, closing the door as quietly as he could behind him. Nathan hadn't noticed Devora's keen eyes on him just yet.

With her nose scrunched up and the skin on her nose bridge wrinkling, Devora pushed away her blankets. Her feet fell to the floor but she didn't stand nor did she plan to. Instead, she patiently waited on her bed for Nathan to emerge. Thoughts were racing through her mind, searching for any possible reason why Nathan had been out so early. Or out this late.

The clock that sat on her side table barely even read at half-past six in the morning. The sun was just starting its journey up to the peak of the sky, the orange and yellow glow still hidden away beneath the horizon. Forcing herself off her bed, she trudged towards the windows. Her sleep-deprived bones ached with each step she took but she moved on like the warrior she was trained to be. No matter how many hours of rest she stole at night, it never seemed to be enough.

She took a seat by the large windows, leaning her head against the glass as her eyes began to chase the sun.

In so many more ways than one, the old Devora Evans her parents knew was long dead. She had been weak back then, too pathetic to survive in a cruel and harsh world where killing was as common as having breakfast in the morning. With each passing day, Devora buried her old self little by little deep into the ground. If she had anything to say about it, she would rather it never resurface.

Unfortunately, it was more difficult said than done. On some nights, Devora would still find herself by the window like this morning, eyes scanning the sky for a sign. At night, without the bright light of day, the stars were clear to see. Those stars were her first friends, ever-constant constellations and a never-changing factor that provided her hope now as it did back then.

Things change, they always do. But the stars will never betray her like time will.

A small click of the lock broke Devora out of her daydream, slamming her harshly back into reality. Her eyes snapped up, head flitting over to face the source of the sound. Her roommate's figure slowly emerged from the bathroom, their gazes colliding when Nathan looked up and away from the ground.

Even with the distance between them, Devora could see surprise ridden in Nathan's eyes, wide and round as his mind searched for an explanation he could use. Then, he lightly cleared his throat, taking a step forward as the tense silence between them shattered.

"Did I wake you?" He asked. Within a few strides, he was by Devora's side. His long legs always made traveling quick and easy.

Shrugging her shoulders, Devora turned back to the window. The sun was clearer now, the full circle within view in the short time she had looked away. Time crawled on sometimes but at other times, it went by exceedingly fast.

"No," she replied. "I'm just an early riser. Unfortunately."

Devora caught sight of Nathan's reflection on the glass window, his nose wrinkling in doubt. Nevertheless, the conversation returned to the state of fruitless silence.

She found comfort in it, though. Using the reflection as an aid, she scanned the features on Nathan's face, looking for a sign. What she found was the realization that Nathan seemed awfully at peace this morning. Sometimes, he would awake with a frown. Other times, his lips might be quirked in excitement. However, today, he was simply nonchalant. She couldn't read him any further than that.