Chapter Two

Moments later, Ginny stood quietly with her family, awaiting their carriage to leave for the ball.  Her father smiled at her and patted her lace gloved hand, "You look lovely this evening, Ginny.  You remind me of your mother when she was your age."

"Thank you father," Ginny said, blushing slightly at his approval. She turned to her sister, and saw disappointment in her eyes that their father hadn't taken notice of her. "And what of Rosamaria? She looks like a lovely rose. I'm sure she will catch the eyes of all the young men at the ball tonight."

The Earl of Stockwell nodded in agreement, "That she will, and just as beautiful as always." The compliment would have been lovely, had his attention not been straying past them to the doors. "Oh, the carriage has arrived. Let us go, then."

Rosamaria sighed, following their mother outside. Ginny brought up the end of their entourage along with her father.  They all climbed inside with the assistance of their father's steady hand.  Once settled in their seats, Lady Stockwell took it upon herself to remind Ginny of everything she had to do...or shouldn't do.  She reached across the open space and fixed Ginny's collar, "Now remember, Ginny.  Look demure, but not too shy.  You're always too shy.  Try to take after Rosamaria and follow her lead.  Flirt a little and by all means please don't turn down any dances.  It was embarrassing enough when you refused Lord Byron last year and dumped that cup of wine on him." Her mother fluttered, looking quite faint.

Lord Stockwell shook his head and patted his wife's hand, "Ginny will be fine, my dear.  Let her enjoy herself in her own way." he turned to his daughter and smiled. "I wouldn't mind if you did make a few friends, though, Ginny.  Find another girl's company that you enjoy.  It will do you good."

"I'll keep your advice in mind," Ginny said, though she most definitely wouldn't.

She was glad when they finally arrived and she could escape from the confines of the carriage. Rosamaria and Lady Stockwell were overwhelming her and she needed some fresh air.  She looked at her mother, "I'm going to the gardens for some fresh air before the ball begins."

"But Ginny you can't-" Lady Stockwell began, looking appalled.

The Earl raised a hand, stopping his wife from saying anymore. Her turned his steady gaze to Ginny, "You may go, but your mother and I expect you to return when the dancing commences. Understood?"

"Yes sir." Ginny agreed, her hopes of escaping being dashed in an instant.

She knew as soon as she stepped through those doors, her mother would force her upon some man as if she were a a showcase item on a shelf, waiting to be bought.  She couldn't let that happen.  She wouldn't let it happen.  She gladly spun on her heel and went straight to the gardens, happy to have at least a calming moment to herself. She took a deep breath when she was finally alone, trying to clear her thoughts.  She always felt better when she could be alone.  Walking the large expanse of gardens was her favorite part of coming here each year.
When the music began, Ginny hurried up to the balcony to peer through the large french doors, knowing she would expected to join her family.

She gasped in delight at the sight before her.  Women in brightly colored dresses spinning in circles with their partners.  The music was upbeat and forced everyone to move quickly.  It was a song that didn't allow for any mistakes or slip of the foot.  Ginny smiled and leaned against the balcony railing.  She liked to imagine herself dancing with a young man throughout the night.  But she only wanted to imagine it.  Living it would be a bit overwhelming for her.  She never liked the large crowds.

Ginny inched forward, opening the French doors to the ballroom

Ginny inched forward, opening the French doors to the ballroom.  She slipped inside, trying to stay hidden against the wall.  She couldn't believe how many people there were.  It looked enchanting.

Avoiding the large crowd, she hurried to find her family.  Her sister was standing off to the side with a man, trying to be flirtatious, as usual.  Ginny went over to her, "Rosamaria?  Where is mother?"

Rosamaria looked to her in annoyance.  She smiled sweetly at the man before grabbing Ginny's arm and dragging her away.  She hissed in her ear, "What do you think you're doing?!"

"Um...pardon me?" Ginny asked in confusion.

"That is Stephen, Lord Knightly. His father is His grace, the Duke of Hatfield. He's finally asked court me and you're being an embarrassment!" Rosamaria pinched her arm.

Ginny pulled away from her and cradled her arm.  That would leave a bruise later, she was sure of it. 

She peered over her sister's shoulder at the tall menacing man.  She hadn't known her sister was courting anyone, and it made her realize how little her sister confided in her. She was surprised her father had accepted this man so easily. But perhaps her parents were getting desperate because her sister was growing older and marriage prospects were disappearing quickly as younger girls joined the season each year.

Lord Knightly had coal black eyes and a sneer to match his dark demeanor.  Ginny gulped, hiding her evident fear, "He doesn't look very kind."

Rosamaria sniffed, turning her nose up at Ginny, "He happens to be very pleasing and handsome, Ginny.  What do you know about men?"

"I just think you should be careful of who you associate yourself with. Especially if you just met this man." Ginny said quietly. Ginny had never felt reason to warn her sister before, but she had a strange feeling about this man.  He look despicable.  She wanted to keep her sister safe, even if she didn't particularly like her all of the time.  She was still her sister and she loved her. 

Rosemaria had appeared confused by her sister's warning, but she brushed it off, "This man was approved by father. I have nothing to fear. I actually met him last year while you were hiding away at home pretending to be ill." Rosamaria said haughtily. She turned back to Lord Knightly, brushing Ginny away. "My lord, I am sorry for my sister's interruption. What were you saying?"

Lord Knightly ignored her as his dark eyes traveled over Rosamaria's shoulders to peer at Ginny, "Will you not introduce us?"

Rosamaria hid her irritation and turned to her sister, "This is my dearest sister Lady Ginny Sherman."

The lord nodded to her, "A pleasure, m'lady. I am Lord Knightly."

"It's a pleasure to meet you as well." She managed to squeak out in fear.

Rosamaria glared at her, "I'm sure you have somewhere to be?"

Ginny ducked her head, "Of course.  I apologize for intruding."

She scurried away as quickly as she had come.

Copyright © 2016 by Rosanna Parker

All Rights Reserved

Alright, so I've edited this chapter, but it only needed some touch ups. Tell me what you think of the new updates later on throughout the story! I'm trying really hard to take into consideration all of your advice and I hope this is slightly better than the original :) And please remember to vote and comment!

-Rosanna