Chapter Twenty Three

"It's your fault she showed up here!" Stephen pointed his finger at his father, shaking with anger.

"It isn't anyone's fault that she came here." Ginny tried to calm him down.

"No, it is." Stephen insisted, crossing his arms.  He glared at his father. "This is all of your fault.  You are putting Ginny in danger. I want you gone. Now."

"You promised me a few days!" his father threw his hands up in the air, exasperated.

"Stephen..." Ginny grabbed his arm, pleading at him with her eyes.

He yanked himself away from her, giving her a stern look, "No.  He's leaving.  Now."

"I don't understand why!  Tell me!" Ginny insisted angrily.

Stephen closed his eyes, rubbing his face tiredly.  He really didn't want to say anything about this.  But she would never let the old man leave without a good reason.  He looked at his father, "She knew you were here.  Does she even know you don't have a single dime left in your pocket?"

His father shook his head, looking down at his hands. "No.  I haven't seen her in months."

"You're lying." Stephen growled.

"I swear it."

Stephen studied him with sharp eyes. "Either way, you know that you have to leave."

His father nodded, feeling defeated, "It's just...I have no place to go..."

"Find somewhere.  Not here." Stephen explained, pulling out a wad of cash from his pocket. He handed some to his father. "Here.  It should be enough to last a while.  Get a decent job for yourself and...and then maybe we can talk about all of this sometime.  Just...not right now."

"I understand." his father clapped him on the shoulder as he got up to leave. "I'll see you soon, my son."

Stephen watched him leave, escaping into the cold, winter air.  He took a seat on the sofa, covering his face with his hands, "I didn't ask for any of this."

Ginny sat down next to him, wrapping her arms around him.  She snuggled against his side, "Talk to me, Stephen."

He stayed silent for a long moment, trying to gather his thoughts.  He had never spoken of this to anyone ever.  Every time the thought crossed his mind, his heart shattered into pieces.  He clenched his hands into fists, looking down at his young wife.  She gave him an encouraging smile.  He let out a shuddering breath.

"A few years ago...I had been married." he explained slowly, studying her face for a reaction.  She didn't reply so he kept on talking. "She...she ended up leaving me.  She ran off with another man.  And I thought it was all of my fault.  I had done everything wrong..."

Ginny rubbed his back, trying to comfort him, "And then what?"

"My father introduced me to Lady Emily. He was trying to get me out of the depression I had fallen into. He wanted to help me.  At least...I thought he had been trying to help me.  A couple of days before the wedding...I found out he...." Stephen took a deep breath, trying to fight back the lump in his throat.  "He had been cheating on my mother.  With Emily.  I found them in his room...I didn't even want to speak of it with my mother. I was planning on marrying Emily and forgetting the whole thing.'

'I guess my father was afraid I would say something to her, so he confessed first.  I hadn't had the chance to tell him that I wasn't going to say anything to Ma.  She didn't need to know about it. I didn't want to break her heart.  She...she committed suicide that night.  She was hanging from the oak tree in the backyard..."

He hadn't realized his cheeks were wet.  He looked down at Ginny who was crying softly.  She kissed his hand, "I'm...I'm so sorry you had to deal with that..."

He intertwined their fingers, "And every day I'm afraid...that you're going to leave me as well."

"Oh, Stephen." she said, pressing her face against his chest. "I won't ever leave you.  I love you."

He ran his fingers through her hair. "I love you too."

She sniffled, "Really?"

He tilted her chin up and gently pressed a kiss to her lips. "I fell for you the very first time I saw you.  I just didn't realize it at the time."

Ginny smiled up at him, sadness in her eyes, "I wish I could have been there for you.  I wish..."

"Shhh...I wouldn't have met you if all of that hadn't happened. If my wife hadn't left me or I married Emily, you wouldn't be my wife." he explained, smiling down at her. "And for that, I am thankful."

"I am thankful as well." Ginny said, kissing his lips.

Copyright © 2016 by Rosanna Parker

All Rights Reserved

I know it's super short but I thought it was a perfect ending for now. Everything's tied together and all questions are answered! :)

-Rosanna