Chapter Eleven

Ginny woke up the next morning to a knock on her door.

"Ginny? Are you awake?" Stephen's voice sounded through her door, sounding concerned.

Ginny scrambled out of her bed and slipped on her night robe at the sense of urgency in his voice.  She opened the door, yawning, "Stephen? It's too early in the morning to be awake. What is it?"

"Come, quickly!" he grabbed her arm, pulling her towards the stairs.

"W-what's wrong?" she asked, tripping over her bare feet.  She yanked on her arm, but he wouldn't release her. "Stephen?"

"We need to get out of here! There's a fire!"

Ginny looked up and finally took notice of the dark cloud of smoke over her head that she had been oblivious to moments before.  She clasped her hand in Stephen's feeling herself tremble.  How could there be a fire in the house?!  Stephen pulled her down the stairs but stopped halfway, cursing underneath his breath.  He turned around and shoved at her, "Go back up!"

"What? Why?!" Ginny tried to move but her legs were stuck to the floor.

"The fire is blocking the stairwell. Ginny, you have to go back up!" Stephen pushed past her, grabbing her arm again.

Ginny spun around and raced after him, back up the stairs, away from the heat. She coughed when the smoke hit her full in the face, making her eyes water. It was starting to accumulate and suffocate her. Stephen's hand slipped from her arm, leaving her to battle the monster alone. Ginny reached out, trying to find her husband, but he was gone.

"Stephen." Ginny asked in a panicked voice. "I can't see you!"

"I'm here." came his voice from down the hallway.

Ginny stumbled after him and found him standing at the large window at the end of the hall.  He was holding up a wooden chair. Stephen placed his arm in front of her, "Step back. I'm going to break the window."

"Wha-" her question was interrupted by sound of the shatter of glass.

Shards flew everywhere, raining down on her. Stephen reach over, wrapping her in his arms.  He held her like that until the glass and smoke and dust had settled enough for them to see outside.  He turned to her, grasping her ash covered face in his hands.

"You have to jump." he said sternly.

"I can't!" she cried, staring out of the window. The ground seemed to spin beneath her, causing her to be dizzy. She grasped his hands.

"You have to!" he shook her slightly.

"I'm scared." Ginny grasped his arms tightly. Suddenly she remembered Kitty and the other servants were probably still in the house. "And what about the others?! What about Kitty?!"

"I'm sure they all got out as soon as the fire started. Trust me. I'll be right behind you." He took her arm and gently pushed her to the edge. "On the count of three, you have to jump into the bushes. They will break your fall. Then I want you to run away from the house. Ready?"

"Stephen..." Ginny reached out for him, but he stepped away from her.

"One...two...three!" he shouted.

Ginny tried to make herself jump, but her feet wouldn't budge. Stephen shoved her from behind, causing her to teeter over the edge. Ginny screamed, covering her face.  This was it.  She was going to die.  She wasn't going to make it.

And then she felt herself hit the bottom. Instead of her body shattering into pieces, the bushes enveloped her in their prickly warmth. The twigs and leaves snagged her hair and stabbed at her skin. Yet she was alive. Ginny shakily scrambled away and started to run, just like Stephen had instructed her to do.  Soon, she was standing on the cold, dark street, watching her home burn to ashes.  She felt fear strike her when she noticed a dark figure making it's way from the flames over to her. She let out a breath of relief when she saw it was only Stephen and his ash covered self.  Ginny bit her lip, trying to stop the tears from flowing down her cheeks, but she was overjoyed to see he had made it out alright.

Stephen came over to her and unexpectedly wrapped her up in a warm hug.  He ran his fingers through her coarse, dirty hair and whispered in a deep voice, "It's alright. You're alright..."

Ginny sobbed and wrapped her arms around him, "I was so afraid."

"You're safe now. It's okay to be afraid." he mumbled into her hair.

"You weren't afraid."

"I was afraid you wouldn't make it out alright."

Ginny's heart soared at his words.  He had been worried about her?  But why? And hadn't she been worried about him as well? She remained in his embraced for a moment longer, trying to enjoy the warmth of his arms despite the strong smell of ash and dust.  He made her feel safe and calm, despite the roaring flames tearing down the house before them. It didn't make any sense. Her feelings felt like the raging fire before them, confusing and wild. And hopefully her feelings wouldn't get the best of her and tear and destroy her, just like a fire.

Copyright © 2016 by Rosanna Parker

All Rights Reserved

I know. It's a super cheesy ending but I really needed to get this chapter out there! I apologize for the long wait, but school has been crazy! I finally found the time to finish this one chapter and hope you like it? If so I would appreciate votes and comments! Thanks! :)

-Rosanna