Chapter Eight

The next morning, Ginny woke up still feeling tired and worn down. She slipped on her day dress that Kitty had graciously left out for her in the darkness of the early dawn hours and crept downstairs.  Rosamaria was already sitting at the table, nursing a cup of hot coffee.  She looked up at Ginny with red eyes and smiled lazily.  Her words slurred as she spoke, "Good morning, sister."

"Have you been drinking spirits?" Ginny asked cautiously, stepping around her sister.

"You got us into this mess, Ginny," her sister spat angrily, ignoring her question.

"How so?"

"You married the vile man."

"I helped us, Rosamaria." Ginny replied. She went over to the stove and tried to stoke the fire back to life.  She set a tea kettle on the stove to make tea. "We aren't living out on the streets.  Stephen will take care of us."

She felt her sister grab her arm and spin her around.  Rosamaria angrily slapped her across the face, screaming, "It's your fault!  It's you fault they're dead! It's your fault that I'm a destitute spinster!"

Ginny kept her head turned from her sister, taking her insults in stride.  She bit back tears as Rosamaria stormed from the room, leaving her to make breakfast alone.  Ginny wiped the tear rolling down her face. She took a deep breath.  She had been the one to suggest the trip that her parents desperately needed. She just hadn't thought they would have left so soon, traveling along dangerous roads alone.  So maybe it was her fault, but she had tried to fix this.  They were living in a good home and...they were safe.

Ginny bit her bottom lip, letting more tears slip silently down her face.  She clenched a tea cup tightly in her hand, feeling her shoulders shake from the sobs racking her body.

"Ginny?" She heard someone behind her say.  Heavy hands settled on her shoulders. "Are you okay?  Here, put that down..."

She looked up into the concerned face of Stephen.  She looked at the shattered tea cup in her hand.  She hadn't realized she had been squeezing it that hard.  She dropped the little bits stuck to her hand and watched the blood bead up on her soft, white skin.  She pulled away from him and hurriedly wiped her eyes, careful not to smear the blood any further, "I'm okay. Sorry about the mess."

Stephen stood there, silently swiping up the shards.  He glanced at her, looking worried.  He took her hand gently in his and wiped them clean with a cloth.  Afterwards, he handed her a new cup and poured her some tea, "Here.  Now be careful. My servants could have easily made breakfast for you if you were hungry."

Ginny stared down into the tea, letting the steam swirl up towards her.  It warmed her face and hands.  It felt comforting.  Stephen slipped his finger under her chin and forced her to look up at him.  He ran his finger over her cheek, frowning, "What's this?"

Ginny reached up to cover her wound which she was sure was blazing red and turning into an ugly bruise, but he wouldn't move his hand away.  She dropped her gaze and shrugged. "Nothing."

"Someone hit you. Rosamaria?" he guessed, anger flaring up in his eyes.

"She was angry with me.  She has good reason to be."

"She hit you." He bit out, his eyes hardening.

"Stephen it's okay." Ginny grabbed his arm to stop him from leaving.  He glared down at her, fire in his eyes.  She rushed to find an explanation that would prevent her sister from bearing the brunt of his anger.  She had learned that Stephen could be quite a force to deal with when he was angry.  Rosamaria was only a drunken, confused girl, so she said the first thing that came to mind. "She hits me all the time.  I'm used to it.  I don't mind."

Ginny immediately knew it was the wrong thing to say.  Stephen's gaze only grew darker with hatred.  He slammed his fist on the counter, making her jump. "The little witch! Why did I agree to let her stay here?!"

"Well, she was supposed to be your wife...at first." Ginny explained quietly.

Stephen shot her a glare, silencing her.  He clenched his jaw. "I want her gone by tomorrow."

"Stephen, please.  She's my sister..." Ginny explained, trying to catch his arm again as he stormed from the room.

He turned on her, a dark look settling over him.  He pointed to her cheek, "You think a sister would do this?!  And don't think I didn't notice the marks on you arm."

Ginny looked away. "I'll speak with her."

"See to it that you do." He said before marching away.

Ginny sat down feeling even more heartbroken than before.  How could he send Rosamaria away like this? She was her only family, even if she wasn't all that nice to her. She still loved her sister. And she also didn't want to be stuck alone in a house with only the servants and Stephen. That thought in itself terrified her.

**********************************

Ginny stepped into the library where her husband sat.  He was hunched over in his chair near the fireplace, flipping through the pages of a book.  She cleared her throat, causing him to look up.  He snapped the book shut.

"Have you spoken with your sister?" he asked, setting the book aside as he stood up.

"I...well...no." Ginny said, wringing her hands.

His eyebrows drew together, "Why not?"

"She...she is already gone.  She left." Ginny's bottom lip trembled.  She clenched her hands into fists. "She left me.  And I don't know where she is..."

Stephen nodded, "So she ran away."

"I have to go and find her.  Please.  She might be lost and hungry or..."

"No. I completely forbid it."

"Stephen..."

"I said no!" he raised his voice. Ginny took a step back, reaching for the door handle. Stephen blew out an irritated breath and ran a hand over his face. "I said no, and that is final. Wherever she is doesn't matter, as long as she's gone."

Copyright © 2016 by Rosanna Parker

All Rights Reserved