Chapter 9

I slowly made my way to my next class, which happened to be assisting in the Attendance Office. Mrs. Kim had instructed me to alphabetize all of the students' files. I had finished most of them during the previous days, so I only had the seniors' files left to organize. I hovered over the pile of files on the desk and meticulously placed individual files into their corresponding tabs. I glanced down at the next file to see Aaron's name written at the top. I was about to stick it into the file cabinet, but my curiosity got the best of me. I glanced up at Mrs. Kim to see her typing away on her computer, completely oblivious of the fact that I was going to look through private information. I cautiously opened the manila folder and glimpsed through his documents.

My eyes lingered on his address as I remembered that no one had actually been to his house. I glanced back up at Mrs. Kim and she was completely engrossed in her work on the computer. I looked back down at Aaron's address as I slowly slipped my phone out of my pocket and stealthily took a picture of it. I didn't exactly know what I was thinking. What was I going to do? Show up on his doorstep pretending to be some door-to-door seller? I couldn't just tell him that I looked through his files and found out his address.

That would be creepy. Even if my whole people observing habit was creepy in itself; that was just a new low. With a sigh, I closed the folder and shoved it into the 'C' tab. A couple periods later, I walked into English class looking towards the back of the class to see Aaron's seat empty. He was usually always there before I got into class. I sank into my seat wondering where he could have been. I noticed Liam staring at me tentatively in the corner of my eye. I turned to face him and said, "I'm not mad at you, so you don't need to act like that." He sighed as concern showed on his face.

"I know you're not mad at me, or any of us, but I'm worried about you." I furrowed my brows at him. "What's there to worry about?"

"I don't want you to get your heart broken," he quietly said as a frown formed on his lips."I can't get my heart broken if I don't like anyone, Liam." "Stop lying to yourself. It's obvious that you've liked him for a while. You're just barely realizing those feelings now." I was put off by Liam's intense tone and remained silent.

"Listen, I can't stop you from liking him, but just know that we're here when you need us." Why did it seem like he was so sure that I would get my heart broken? He didn't know Aaron. Granted, I didn't really know Aaron either, but then again, it seemed like no one did. Maybe it was why I was so scared to admit that I actually liked him. It was almost like getting hurt is inevitable with him. But I was willing to risk the pain. At lunch time, the guys seemed to be enthralled by the fact that someone had confessed to Chris earlier in the day.

It shouldn't have been that surprising to them. He was tall and good looking. Someone was finally brave enough to approach his intimidating exterior. "We're going out to dinner this Friday," Chris said with a dazed smile looking at his phone.

"I'm so jealous. I wish a girl would confess to me," Jason said, puffing his cheeks.

"Don't worry little steam bun," Lucas said poking Jason's cheek. "I'm sure you'll get lucky one of these days."

"Why do you guys wait for girls to confess to you?" I asked.

"I mean, if you really want a girlfriend, all you have to is man up and do it yourself." "Not everyone is like your prince charming," Liam said with a sour face. I kicked him in the shin.

"Ow!"

"I'm being serious! It's our last year of high school and none of you have dated anyone with the exception of pretty face Lucas." The guys all glared at Lucas while he sheepishly smiled.

"You guys can't possibly be that awkward." "We all don't need to get girlfriends just because you and Chris started dating," Liam grumbled.

"Well, then have fun being single," Chris said blatantly, causing laughter among the 7 of us.