Chapter 32

We ended up in another waiting room. It was much more tolerable than the former one though. There was a view of the city, a quality cafeteria, and the guys seemed to be more than a little distracted by the attractive receptionists at this hospital. Of course things were better in the city. Things were looking up.

"Hey guys," the receptionist at the desk called out, causing our heads to jerk up. "Dr. Park wants to see Aaron's girlfriend." I stood up apprehensively. Why was it just me by myself? I walked over and she opened the door to the white hallway. "Room 1012." I walked down the halls and my heart beat grew faster with each step closer. Room 1012 was closed and I slowly brought my hand up to knock on the door. It opened almost immediately and his father peeked out. He opened the door wider and my heart sank when I saw an unconscious Aaron plugged into several machines. I was having terrible déjà vu. I heard the door close as I walked over to Aaron's bed. I hovered over him feeling worried about what I was about to hear.

There must have been bad news. Why else would I have been called in by myself?

"Aaron told me not to tell you, but he got in a car accident the other day."

"I know," I replied, still staring at my limp boyfriend. "Really? He told you?" My eyes widened. Was I not supposed to reveal that? "Yeah, it slipped out of him yesterday." He let out a heavy sigh. "He must've hit his head during the accident because there's been damage to his brain.

"I told him to be extra careful because his brain would take a while to heal..."

"It's not your fault. Aaron's stubborn. Not much we can do about that," I said trying to ease the situation. "Is he going to be okay?"

"He will be," he said. "Hopefully."Aaron wasn't doing very well. It's been a few days since his seizure and he comes in and out of consciousness from time to time, but never long enough for a conversation to be held. His father said it's too dangerous to try to put him under the knife again. But he also said that Aaron probably wouldn't get better without surgery. This felt like the end.

A nurse walked in to check Aaron's charts and update them if necessary. She seemed surprised to see me in the room."You're still here?" she asked with an eyebrow raised."Huh? Oh, um, ye-yeah." I was shocked at how scratchy my voice sounded. Her eyebrows creased together as she placed the charts down. "When was the last time you got any sleep?" I tried to think back to when I had actually gotten even a blink of sleep. I couldn't really remember sleeping at all. But I wasn't going to tell her that. "Last night," I lied. She gave me a skeptical glance. "The last time you ate?"

"This morning." I didn't lie this time. His father gave me a hospital card that I could use in the food court whenever I was hungry. Sure, I didn't eat as much as I probably should have, but it's not like I was starving myself. I never really felt hungry, but I just ate whenever I started to feel light headed."Can I see your hands?" she asked, stepping closer to me. "Uh, sure..." I said lifting my hands up into hers. I was shocked to see deep red divots in my palms formed from my nails digging into my skin. I never realized they were balled into fists in the first place.

"Sweetie, I think we should get you checked out by a doctor," she said, gently placing my hands down."What?! No, I'm fine. I need to stay here. I-I can't leave him," I said glancing at my limp boyfriend. She let out a sigh. "Look at that screen right there," she said nodding to the monitor with incomprehensible lines and codes. "His vitals are stable and everything checks out okay. He'll be fine if you're gone for a little bit. Now come on," she insisted.

I hesitantly stood up and followed her out of the room with one last worrisome glance behind me. She dropped me off in another room that seemed to be a generic check. "A doctor will be right with you, okay?" I nodded at her as I clasped tightly onto the chair I was sitting on. My feet were tapping rapidly on the ground and my eyes darted all over the room. I just wanted to be back in Aaron's room again.

The door opened and a doctor stepped in."Hello, I'm Dr. Wilson. I'm just going to check out your health, okay?" Dr. Wilson was average height. His hair was styled backwards and his skin seemed a little too perfect for the job he had. You would think being a doctor would give you at least a few stress lines here and there. He had a wedding band on his left ring finger and his nails looked as if they were filed and buffed.

His slacks and even his white coat were wrinkle free and he had designer loafers on. His name tag was exactly parallel and his smile was artificially white. He took awfully good care of himself. Before he even asked me any questions, he was already writing things down on a clipboard probably things along the lines of bags under my eyes and divots in my palms. He took my blood pressure, looked into my eyes and ears with a flash light, and took my heartbeat.

He even pricked my finger for a blood test."Your blood pressure is unusually high for a girl your age," he stated. "Do you take any medication? Or do any drugs?" I shook my head and he nodded. "Your boyfriend being in the hospital seems to be causing some stress on you I assume." I should have been upset with the fact that this was already a known fact by him, but he was the famous brain surgeon's son so I guess it was somewhat understandable.

"I'm going to prescribe to you a prescription and with rest you should be feeling a lot better than you do, alright?" He scribbled on a sheet and tore it off and gave it to me. "Bring this down to the pharmacy down stairs and they'll get it for you, okay?" He stood up and I followed suit.

"I hope everything goes well with you and your boyfriend." He walked out of the room, probably having more patients to check out. I glanced down at the yellow paper he had handed to me. I recognized the prescription right away. It was an anti-depressant and an anxiety reducing medication.