Chapter 14

He placed my clothes from the night before into my hands and shoved me into the bathroom. "Please hurry!"We walked side by side to the bus station in silence. I didn't really want to talk to him at all, but it seemed like he didn't even remember anything of the previous night.

"So, why did you sleep over my house again?"

"You owed me," I said frankly. If he didn't remember any of the night before, I wasn't going to recite it to him because it was all unnecessary. ...And I really didn't want to remember any of it either."That's it?" he asked as we arrived at the bus station. "You stayed over my house because I owed you?" "Mhm." Two could play at his "Don't Tell Anyone Anything" game.

He let the subject go when the bus came. "Wake up." My eyes squinted open and I quickly sat up when I realized I fell asleep on Aaron shoulder. He chuckled at me and said, "Did you get any sleep last night?" I rolled my eyes as we stood up and got off the bus. "No, as a matter of fact, I didn't." His playful expression was quickly wiped off his face.

"Did something happen?" I shook my head wanting to drop the subject. "It's just hard falling asleep on a couch is all."

"Oh," he quietly replied. I could tell that he wasn't satisfied with my answer, but I wasn't too satisfied with last night's events. We silently walked all the way to my home. I muttered a "See you later" and hastily made my way into the house assuming that he would just go to his friend or something.

When I was inside, my grandmother was already awake, watching her favorite drama on TV. "Good morning," she greeted as I walked through the door. "Did you have a good night last night?" she asked with a smirk. "Not like that, Grandma," I replied with a groan. "Nothing happened. I slept in the living room." She frowned and shooed me away to get ready as an intense scene came on screen.

I quickly washed up and changed into my uniform. After eating breakfast and placing my cereal bowl in the sink, my grandmother said from the window pane, "Hey, hurry up. Your boyfriend's outside waiting for you!"

"Who's waiting outside for me?" I asked curiously as I walked to the window to peer outside. Aaron was standing out on the sidewalk, kicking a rock around with his foot. "He's not my boyfriend," I said with a frown as I put my shoes on. "Well, whatever he is, just know that I approve!" she excitedly said as she pushed me out the door.

I rolled my eyes at her as I walked out. Apparently my grandmother was quite the player back in her high school days and she'd always ask about my non-existent love life. So of course she'd be excited about Aaron. I met him on the sidewalk and he looked up from his shoes. "I did something to you last night, didn't I?" he asked, face full of concern. I opened my mouth to reply, but he cut me off. "

Don't lie to me because you can't look me in the eye when you tell me nothing happened." I mustered up as much courage as I possibly could and brought my face a few inches away from his and looked him directly in the eyes. "Nothing. Happened." We held eye contact for a while before Aaron let out a disappointed sigh. "Are you sure?" he asked. I nodded my head and quickly changed the subject.

"Did you happen to see the guys? They usually wait for me so we can walk to school together," I said looking to both houses with a frown. "You're changing the subject," he said with a stern look on his face. "You'd only want to change the subject if you didn't want to talk about it. And the only reason you wouldn't want to talk about is if something happened last night, correct?"

It irked me that Aaron could read me like an open book when that was my job. A lot of things about Aaron irked me. Why didn't he remember anything from last night? I mean, okay, I guess it's understandable that he didn't te remember anything from when he was drunk, but he definitely was not that incoherent when he woke up later that night. "I accidentally broke one of your glasses when I went to get water in the middle of the night," I lied.
"I cleaned it all up and I didn't want to tell you because they seem expensive. Sorry..." I glanced up at him to see his reaction. He seemed to believe it. "Really?" he asked with a skeptical look on his face. "That's really what happened?" I nodded my head and he let out a sigh. "We have so many of those glasses. Don't worry about it," he said patting me on the side of my arm. I mentally sighed of relief that he believed me.

"Oh and your friends did pass by, but they didn't really say anything when they walked past me." Oh great, I thought. I would definitely be hearing something about this from them later. We walked to school in silence. I wanted to try and start a conversation with him, but I honestly didn't know what I could even talk to him about. The only thing on my mind was the fact that he was planning to get back with his ex girlfriend. I wanted to stop being so curious about Aaron. I really did. Digging deeper and trying to get beneath all of his layers had consequences.

Consequences that I was not necessarily ready for, but I was just so unsatisfied. I wanted to know everything about him. The desire itself was enough for me to risk getting myself hurt. I honestly didn't know why I was so interested in him, but let's face it does anybody ever understand why they're interested in someone? Before walking into the school, Aaron turned to me and said, "Next time you try and visit, please ask me beforehand."

"But if I ask you beforehand, you'll say no."

"Exactly," he said with a devious smile as he walked away. I scrunched up my face in annoyance, watched as he disappeared into school and made my way into the school on my own. I walked into homeroom and saw Olivia looking like she was anticipating my arrival. As soon as I was in a close enough vicinity to her, she spoke up right away.

"I saw Aaron at the hospital yesterday." I tried to ignore her strangely enthusiastic tone, but I could tell the suspiciousness showed on my face by the way her face suddenly fell.