Chapter 24 - Here We Go Again

~ Chapter 24 ~

{ Nine Months Later }

I rubbed oils on my stomach and watched Rex's children play in the field. I sighed and looked over at Althea, Rex's wife, as she watched her children carefully. After all they were still young.

"So have you decided?" She asked me with her sing-songy voice.

"I'm going to keep him," I said as I stroked my stomach. I smiled. "I've become attached."

"Most mothers do," Althea said with a smile. "It's hard to get rid of someone that comes from you."

"Rex scolded me every time I said abort," I laughed. She giggled.

"He's sensitive when it comes to children. You should be too, especially since Tempest didn't really have parents. You know what it's like for a child."

"I guess I'm just scared I won't be able to provide for him, especially since he's a Demon and I'm Human," I murmured with a shrug. "I don't know how to take care of him."

"Rex will," Althea said with a soft smile. "And you don't have to worry, he'll be raised like a Prince, so when his time comes to take the throne, he will. He'll carry the Draven name and the Draven blood, just like he's supposed to. You won't have to worry, we have your back, Zelda. One hundred percent of the way."

The piercing sound of my scream could have destroyed god knows how many mirrors. Whoever said giving birth was fun?

"Zelda, push!" The midwife ordered.

"I can't!" I said through clenched teeth. The midwife glared, she didn't like me.

The doors opened and Rex rushed in followed by Althea and Lynn. I felt relief wash over me, then I felt the pain of a sharp contraction. I screamed again. This is agonizing! I know.

I've been in labor for sixteen hours. I'm ready for this child to come through. Rex grabbed one of my hands, Althea grabbed the other and Lynn stood beside the midwife.

"We're here, Zelda," Althea said with her soothing voice.

"Took you long enough," I glared.

Rex chuckled. "How are you holding up?"

"I'm not in the chatting mood, Rex, I've got a Demon trying to stay in my vagina!" I snapped at him.

"That's the response I was expecting," he smiled. "Thea." She nodded and began to coax me with her soft voice.

"Push Zelda, push as hard as you can for as long as you can," she said in my ear.

I pushed and screamed. I felt progress.

"There's crowning!" Lynn said with happiness.

"Alright Zelda, you're almost there," Rex said softly. I laid back and tried to catch my breath. I was exhausted. I wanted to quit. "No, no, no, Zelda, stay up."

"I can't," I cried. "I can't do this, it's too much."

"Imagine Tempest is here holding your hand, push like you want this baby," Rex demanded.

For some odd reason, that inspired me.

I pushed as hard as I could and I kept pushing until I heard the first cry. The cry that could change minds. The cry that made me cry with joy. My baby was born. I sat up and watched as they wrapped the baby in a blanket and handed him to me. I gasped and choked back a sob as I saw his beautiful face.

"He's beautiful," I whispered. He kicked his foot and opened his eyes. I felt my heart drop when I saw his eyes. Just like his father's dark.

"Gotta name?" Lynn asked.