Chapter 37 - Heaven

~ Chapter 37 ~

I smiled wide at the sight of my two sons. Saix and Zerin both climbed on the bed with me and wrapped their arms around me. They said nothing as they laid on me like children. Even though they were grown men, I still saw them as little boys. They'll always be my little boys.

They didn't say anything. They weren't angry anymore, just sad.

"I love you," I crooned to them as I stroked their hair. "I'll always love you. My beautiful Princes."

I felt their smiles against my skin.

"What will we do when you're gone?" Zerin whispered.

"That's up to you, love," I said softly, "this is your life."

"Someone has to stay here with Dad," Saix said with a frown, "he won't do well without you."

"He'll be fine," I reassured, "it'll take some time, but he won't always be like that. I promise."

"How do you know this exactly?" They asked looking up at me.

"I have faith," I smiled, "in your father; and I believe that as long as he has a piece of me to cling on to, he'll always be okay."

Their gaze lingered for moments longer. Processing, just trying to understand me as more than just their mother.

"What will they do without you?" Zerin asked, "infatuated doesn't begin to cover how they feel about you, Mom, they're dying inside like the rest of us."

"Devils are called Devils for a reason," I giggled, "if they were weak and powerless then they wouldn't have been dealt this fate. I'm someone they all loved. But coming from someone who has actually lost many people she's loved. I know that they'll be fine. They're not human like I am, they will feel pain and ache and sorrow and grief, but they will never drive themselves to suicide. They're strong. And so are all of you. Even Zora. So it's not a matter of what you're going to do when I'm gone, it's just a matter of moving on. You can't hang on to the past. What's happening to me is completely natural. I shouldn't have lived this long anyway, but thanks to Night and the Underworld, I was able to have the luxury of seeing where my life took me. I am so thankful for your father, I am."

"He's quite thankful for you, Mom," my boys laughed.

"Mm," I murmured.

"Have you spoken to him since you ended up here?" Saix asked. I nodded.

"As often as he sees fit," I smiled, "sometimes we don't talk, he just comes in and lays with me. I always enjoy his comfort, even though I'm not as warm as I usually am, he still lays with me," I laughed a smile, "I never thought I could love someone like him, you know."

"A Demon?" Zerin asked. I shook my head and laughed.

"A man who had nothing to lose, but everything to give. A man who hated himself and everything around him," I said softly, "it's not my type of guy. I was always drawn to cocky bad boys who had a lot to lose but would pretend like they didn't. So when I was finally stuck with a real man who actually didn't have a damn thing to lose... I was scared and repulsed. I was sad for him."

"Sad?"

"I find your father without a flaw in sight, physically. That man is perfect to me. In every single way. I know he isn't perfect but I don't care. He's perfect enough for me. The first time I saw him... I never knew a man could be so godly. I fell in love with his looks right then. And I knew that if we ever crossed paths and he was as perfect as he looked, then I'd have a hard time rejecting him. When we finally did, I saw him for who he was, which at the time was what everyone saw, and I didn't like it. He was angry, and mean, and violent and careless-he was a heartless man. Even bad boys have hearts. But not your father. That man was harder than titanium. It was like, whenever I did something or said something, he was always angry at it as if I were supposed to know better. But when I didn't say anything or do anything, he was upset because I was supposed to be entertaining them. I couldn't do right by Tempest and I'm still not sure why that was. But for some odd reason, I fell in love with him because of it."