Chapter 40 - Embrace

~ Chapter 40 ~

I never realized how fast time flies. Well, actually, that's a lie. I've known that time flies, hence Zelda. It's just that... with her gone, time seems to go by even faster.

In one single year, one year, two of my children married, their wives are both pregnant. Saix had a set of twins, a boy and a girl. Zerin had a boy, Phoenix had a girl, Axel had a girl as well. Their wives were pregnant once again, as well as Zora.

To put things simply, I couldn't have been happier.

Until I received news that Rex was ill.

I made my way to his kingdom immediately. I wasn't too sure how welcome I would be, especially since after Zelda's death we all seemed to fall off with an exception of Alucard. Valen absolutely hated me, although he'd come visit Zelda's grave every other month. I had all rights to be angry with him, but I chose against it. He, on the other hand, refused to tell me why he's so pissed at me. Aric and Sven were off together, enjoying their life-I suppose.

I guess you could say I missed the old days.

Althea rushed over to me and grabbed my hand. "Dear God, I didn't know what else to do!" I frowned.

There's nothing I can do either.

She led me to the infirmary where Rex laid ill in bed with his kids hovering around. Everyone turned their attention to me and bowed. I put my hand up and shook my head.

"I'm no longer the king," I said softly, "that formal greeting isn't necessary."

"Once a king, Tempest, always a king," Rex corrected. He then gazed at his family, then his wife.

"Give him some space," Althea choked out.

Everyone nodded and filed out, shutting the door behind them. I took a seat by his bedside and sighed as I took in his condition.

"Same thing?" I asked him. He nodded with a chuckle.

"Same thing," he sighed.

"Do you feel anything?"

"I wish," he murmured.

"Have the others...."

"You're the first to know, Tempest," Rex said quickly. "Even though we had our ups and downs, you were the first I wanted to know."

"The others won't really like the sound of that, you know," I said with a raised brow. Rex rolled his eyes.

"You think I give a shit, man?" Rex asked me. "I'm on my deathbed and they're worried about who I sent for first? If that's the case then fuck them, I'll die alone."

"Althea won't like the sound of you talking like that, Rex, she wants me to fix you," I muttered. Rex gave a hearty laugh.

"Fix me? She didn't actually say that did she?" He asked amused. I chuckled.

"No, but she was screaming so loud in her head, I couldn't miss it," I laughed. Rex sighed.

"Man, oh man, I'm going to miss her," he frowned. "I'm going to miss her so much."

"Shut up," I sighed, "you're not dead yet." He looked over.

"Seven days," he said lowly. "I've got seven days left.... The fuck am I gonna do in seven days? I'm bedridden, annoyed, and ready to die."

"That's what I'm here for," I said patting his bed.

It was silent between us two.

He looked over. "When will you finally own up to our friendship?"