Chapter Four

The next morning Jillian woke up

with a groan. Padding her way down to the bathroom, getting ready for school. She got into the shower, letting the warm water run over her body. She was quick to wash herself off, knowing that she had limited time before she needed to be out the door.

Cursing herself, she stumbled to get her shoes on. No matter how early she got up, she couldn't get herself out the door on time. She pulled the door open, hurrying to get to the bus stop. She was thankful to have gotten there right on time, sliding into a seat on the bus, she plugged her head phones in and watched the streets pass by her.

The morning held a three hour business lecture, that left Jillian's eyes falling every two seconds. She thought she was going to fall asleep, and she probably would have, had her phone not buzzed in her pocket. Watching to make sure no one was watching she tapped at the screen letting the message appear on her screen.

*'Good morning beautiful x'

Rolling her eyes she typed back a reply, unable to stop the small smile that tugged at her lips.

'It's nearly noon, Niall. And don't call me that.'

Setting the phone down, she scrawled the notes down into her notebook, trying to focus on her professor talk about the the distribution path. Her phone went off again and she jumped, checking if someone was looking.

*'Too late for coffee then? We should get some before we go to see Jess.'

Niall ran his hands through his wet hair as he set his phone down on his bed, grabbing a shirt and pulling it over his head. He was getting into his shoes when he heard his phone go off again.

'I'm in class, won't be there till later.'

He shook his head, even in the form of a text message, Jillian was quick to push him away. But all it seemed to do was leave Niall wanting more.

*'Great I'll pick you up after, we can ride together.'

'No, it's okay. I can take the bus, really can't talk right now.' Niall looked at the phone, he had now thrown in the passenger seat. He almost laughed as he turned up the hill driving into her university. Once he put the car in park, he grabbed the phone typing a reply.

*'So it's settled, I'm giving you a ride.'

Jillian shook her head, locking her phone not bothering to reply. She began packing up her things, making her way out of the business hall. By the time she got out of the building, there was rain falling down and she rolled her eyes knowing that she didn't have a jacket.

She stood under the awning, waiting for the rain to let up, when the same black car she rode in the day before driving up to her. Running over to the car she got into the passenger seat, shifting in her seat adjusting to the warmth of the car.

"Hello beautiful," Niall said, chuckling to himself when her eyes rolled.

"Hi," She muttered, her eyes fixated on the floor, hoping he didn't notice the heat that rose to her cheeks. "You didn't have to do this you know," Jillian said, tucking a stray hair behind her ear.

Niall didn't say anything, just looked at her. Her hair was shaken from her face, those thick rimmed glasses were pushed up nose. He didn't want to admit it, even to himself, but she looked adorable.

"Still wearing those glasses, I see." Niall teased and Jillian smiled.

"My contacts should be coming in soon." Jillian nodded.

"I like the glasses," Niall said looking over at her. "They're cute." Jillian's face had to be as red as a tomato, with how bad she was blushing. Shaking her head she kept her gaze on the rain.

"So um, how about that coffee." Jillian said and Niall smiled.

**

The two of them walked into the hospital doors, Niall following Jillian through the halls to Jess's room. Jillian turned to Niall, her index finger skimming along the lid of her coffee. "Let me go in first, see how she is for a second, then I'll bring you in." Niall nodded and Jillian stepped into the room. "Jilly," Jess beamed, Jillian walked in, wrapping her arms around the small girl.

"Hey sunshine." Jillian said softly. "Hey Kelly,"

"Did you make it to school alright, I was going to stop by and give you bus fare.." Kelly trailed and Jillian nodded.

"I'm fine," Jillian nodded.

"I'm going to go down to the cafeteria and get something, I'm starving, and then I'm going to go get Ken. Do you want something, I can grab you something before I head out." Kelly asked and Jillian shook her head.

"Niall's outside he grabbed some coffee for us." Jillian explained watching as her eye brows raised in disbelief.

"Coffee isn't a real meal Jillian." Her aunt stated and Jillian sighed.

"I know, but I'm fine. I'm not the same girl okay. Go get something to eat, I'll be up here with Jess." Jillian said watching as her aunt bowed her head in defeat. When she left the room, Niall came in. But when he came in he saw Jillian's frown. Her eyes locked with his and he scratched the back of his head.

"She said it was okay that I came in." Niall said and Jillian nodded.

"Yeah it's fine, do you want me to leave?" Jillian asked and Niall shook his head.

"You can stay." Niall said, and Jillian sat down. Over the next two hours she watched as Niall and Jess talked and giggled, tons of questions bouncing in her head. She's seen different sides of him, each side sparking a new line of questions.

When the door opened again both Jillian's aunt and uncle walked through the door. "Oh, we didn't think you two would still be here." Kelly said and Jillian stood up.

"I actually have to get ready to go to work." Jillian said and Niall got to his feet.

"I have to head out also, I have some interveiws. I can drive you," Niall offered. Jillian nodded walking over and giving Jess a kiss. "I'll be back in like a week if you want me to?" Niall said and Jess nodded furiously.

"Okay well I'll be seeing you later, love you." Jillian said, and Jess brushed some hairs from Jillian's face. "Love you Jilly," Jess mumbled softly.

"I love you too, sunshine." Jillian replied kissing her head. She got to her feet hugging her uncle, and then her aunt.

"Don't forget to eat," She said quietly, and Jillian pulled away before hastily making a bee line for the door. She didn't mean it to be hurtful, and Jillian knew that. But it hurt her to think that her aunt didn't trust her because of something that happened years ago.

Niall struggled to keep up, his legs moving in almost a sprint to catch up. "Jillian, wait." Niall said and Jillian stopped.

"Sorry, I'm just running late." She mumbled. Niall ran his fingers through his hair. He nodded and they walked to the car. Once they got into the car, Niall set off in the direction of the small diner Jillian worked in.

"Do you ever feel like you're not good enough?" Jillian blurted, eyes widening as she realized what she said.

"I mean, people get you down sometimes you know." Niall stammered, curious to know where she was headed.

"Like no matter how hard you try, it just doesn't work?" Jillian said, watching his actions. He didn't respond, his mind far from where it should be. Jillian's words tampered with him.

"You know you could just look me up, find out whatever things you wanted to know." He responded after a minute.

"I know," She said in acknowledgement, it wasn't like she hasn't thought about it before. "But I don't want to hear their opinions, or decipher through the bull shit. I want the truth,"

Niall finally pulled into the parking lot of the diner. "Tell you what," Niall said tapping on the steering wheel. "You and I hang out tomorrow after your classes and I'll tell you whatever you want to know." Niall said watching as Jillian pursued her lips.

"Whatever I want," Jillian asked and Niall nodded with a wink. Thinking about it for a second she nodded. "Okay fine, see you tomorrow."