Chapter Nine

Jillian squirmed in the seat, trying   to get comfortable. Jess had woken up almost an hour ago, but hadn't uttered more than two words since opening her eyes.

The small tv played Doctor Who in the corner of the room, but Jillian wasn't paying attention. She had seen the episode at least three times, she practically knew it word for word. Instead her focus was on the textbook sitting in her lap, trying to absorb all the information being thrown at her by the end of the weekend.

Jess had reached over, her fingers barely touching the remote as she pulled it to her. She clicked the button a few times skimming through the channels. "Jillian Nialls on the tv." Jillian heard her say softly.

She looked at the tv, half heartedly paying attention. She watched as pictures were displayed of Niall getting onto a plane, then reading the caption at the bottom of the screen. No. Niall didn't leave and not tell her, he wouldn't do that, would he?

She looked at the screen a few seconds longer, allowing the woman in the telly to confirm her doubts. Niall Horan had left for tour, without even bothering to say goodbye.

Her teeth held her bottom lip captive as hot tears filled her eyes. She should have known better than to trust him. It happened every time she got close to someone, the only people to ever actually stay were her aunt and uncle. She thought Niall was different, felt it in her heart that he was when it was the two of them. But it was all wrong, Niall was no different from the others. She was just glad she was realizing this now before she did something stupid.

But if she were to be honest with herself she would say that even though people left her all the time. That didn't make this time hurt any less. 

Niall mindlessly strummed at the strings of his guitar, not paying attention to the world around him. They had a show in a few hours and they didn't have to be at the arena for another two hours. Harry had said something about going to look around at the small shops that littered the area around them, but Niall never said he would go with him.

Eventually he set his guitar down and walked over to his suitcase. He searched to for a pair of jeans, pulling the first pair he could find up his legs. A knocking at his door caused him to groan, walking over and pulling the door open.

"Good you're ready." Harry said looking at Niall. Harry wore his Rolling Stones t shirt and a pair of dark jeans -he was pretty sure Liam had gotten him when his other pair began to fall apart at the seams. As well as those boots all of the boys- Niall included- teased him for wearing, Harry hadn't told anyone, other than Niall who so happened to be the only one on the tour bus that he used scotch tape to keep them from falling apart. Those shoes had gone far past seeing their "better days," now they simply needed to be thrown in the rubbish bin. 

"I didn't say I'd go with you." Niall said and Harry shrugged his shoulders.

"Sure, but I also know you have nothing to do." Harry points out watching Niall look down at the ground. "Get your shoes on and let's go." Harry says clapping his hands together. Niall leaves the door open while he slips into his tennis shoes.

When Niall was done he quietly followed Harry out of the hotel room and down the hall. When they got out of the hotel, cameras flashed and people screamed. Her voice rang in his ears, bringing him back to that moment in the elevator. A sigh fell from his lips, she was right, Niall was an idiot. Possibly the biggest idiot he knew.

They walked into the first shop they laid eyes on. Harry wandered around the store picking up random things, shoving them in Niall's face.

"Hey, look at these." Harry said picking the object up and shaking it. Niall watched the little flakes swirl around before taking one for himself.