Chapter 8.

I sat in a pool of blood. I was hurt, but much worse, the baby was hurt. Steve rushed to my side as the others made their way into the room.

"Daisy, you're going to be okay. Cap, take her to the theater." Tony said, immediately taking the roll of leader. Steve picked me up, cradling me against his chest. "Helen, I know it's not your field of expertise but you can see if you can help. I'll call the specialists." He pulled out his phone as Steve carried me upstairs.

Doctor Cho was close behind us. I was light headed and things started feeling very far away.

"Steve. The baby." I said, my voice barely a whisper.

"You're both going to be fine." Steve said. He didn't believe it though. I could see the fear. He was already thinking that he'd lost us both.

He put me on the operating table and Doctor Cho came and started looking me over. She felt my belly and Steve helped her take off my pants so she could examine me properly.

"We're going to have to do an emergency caesarean. I'm going to give you a general anaesthetic to save time. She fitted me with an oxygen mask and then went to work administering an anaesthetic. Bruce had arrived and started helping her. Nat and Clint hovered in the door like they wanted to help but didn't know how. Things started going dark on me.

"Steve. I love you. Okay? I'm sorry this happened." I said my head feeling heavy.

He held tight to my hand. "I love you, Daisy. Stay with me."

All there was, was light. Slowly it faded, becoming a focused point in the darkness. I floated towards it and the universe opened up and I could see everything. All the galaxies and nebula were laid out before me to explore. A yellow gem floated in front of me and as I went to reach for it I heard a voice.

"Daisy? Is this a dream?"

I turned to Bucky. He was wearing regular street clothes. Just a maroon long sleeve Henley over jeans. He was standing in a dilapidated room again. This one was different to the last one I saw. I guess he was moving around. Or maybe this wasn't real at all.

"I don't know what this is." I said.

Bucky approached me, he touched my face. I felt it. I felt the warmth of his skin in contrast to the cold of space around me.

"What is that thing?" Bucky asked pointing at the stone.

I shook my head. "Something too dangerous to exist but to powerful to destroy."

I suddenly fell into his arms and he held me, stroking my hair. "Where are you, Bucky? I need you."

"It's better if you don't know. They'll just arrest me. I still don't have control over the Soldier."

"Steve can help you. I can help you." I cried. "Bucky please. We have a baby. Something happened."

I paused the sudden realization of what happened. What is happening. "It died. I'm dying. This is what this is. I'm saying goodbye."

"No, Daisy. Stay with us. I'll tell you where I am." He brought his mouth to mine, but I was being dragged away, dragged towards that light.

Slowly I opened my eyes. I felt numb and thirsty but the warmth of the sun felt welcoming on my skin. I smiled for a second glad that I was home. Then I remembered. The baby.