8. difference attracts

Do you ever look back on your life and wonder how you got to this particular moment? For me, I think about what would have happened if I had taken a different turn. Things would be drastically different. By chance, if Austin had used a condom that special night in his parent's cabin, I wouldn't be with my sunshine and my world – Eliana.

But I look back and think of the rollercoaster I've been on since I met Harry. The constant scorching of flames inside of me burned out by my own insecure thoughts. He touches me like I am velvet when really I just feel like sandpaper – nicked with flaws not just on the outside but on the inside too. He looks at me like grace though there isn't a doubt in my mind that he is a wild sinner.

In the mirror I cock my head at my reflection, unimpressed. I pout my lips a bit, fluffing my brown wavy hair. Narrowed eyes and furrowed brows, I suddenly exhale and roll my eyes at myself. "Great."

The buzzer going off interrupts my thoughts, thankfully. I tuck a piece of hair behind my ear and turn away from the most simple torture device. Taking a deep breath, I press the unlock button on the intercom.

With approximately two minutes until Harry reaches my door I turn around and look at the apartment. I spent probably too long cleaning today and while Eliana tried to help, she was also ripping out all her toys in the process and becoming distracted. I rushed to the living room, grabbing the stuffed animals that were sprawled out and threw them into the toy bin set under the large window that overlooked the street.

Knock, knock, knock.

At the door, I hesitated not because I didn't want this. Dammit, I deserved this – or at least part of my subconscious thought so. And then those dreary thoughts come back, haunting me in the worst possible way.

This means change. Am I ready for that?

I pulled open the door and instantly smiled at the man behind it. His curls were silky looking, pushed back effortlessly. In his hand he held a bottle of wine that had a rather expensive looking design on it.

"Hi," I breathed out.

"Hello, Diana," Harry chuckled. I stepped out of the doorway and let him in, closing the door behind us with a quiet thud. "I figured you were supplying the food so I'd supply the wine."

"Well, thank you," I laughed slightly, accepted the bottle from him. "I drink this stuff like water – I'm kidding."

"Something tells me you aren't," he teased playfully.

I felt a warmth rise to my cheeks but dismissed it and walked into the kitchen, knowing that he was following. Harry looked around, clearly interested in how I live. Hell, I'm interested in his place in the city too. Wherever that may be. There's a lot to him that's still a mystery to me.

"This is a nice place," he stated, "I like the large windows."

I smiled, "yeah, we have the best natural lighting." I opened the wine bottle and poured us both a glass, figuring that I'd need this to calm my nerves a bit. When he accepted his he came close, his warmth and cologne wafting through the air. "When Eliana couldn't sleep at night I'd take her to the window and she's be amazed by the moon..."

My voice faded off as I realized very quickly that I was making a mistake. I guess being a single mom everything revolves around my baby and with that, so do my words and thoughts. Harry was closer now, putting his wine on the counter behind me as my back inevitably hit the edge of it. He cupped my cheeks – a beautiful smirk pull at his.

"Keep talking," he hummed, "your voice is really soothing."

"No one's ever said that before," I exclaimed.