10. freedom and greed

Show some love by commenting throughout x

H.

Since I've been in Faycoast, Jack's coffee shop is practically my second home. At first it was the only thing here that made me feel good – a nice cup of coffee to warm up my insides despite it being sweltering outside.

There are a few good things about this town.
I like how cozy it is. However, I'm necessarily sure if I like the idea of everyone knowing each other. In the city there's a sense of anonymity even though there are millions of people. You can walk past people on the sidewalk and not know them. Here, it's the opposite. But when I got here I knew no one. Liam had only invited me to stay because he knew I needed time away after graduation. I needed time away to think about my future.

But being here has thrown everything into a tailspin.

My best friends are settling down, happy with their lives, while I'm entirely lost. Then I found Diana and without a doubt she is a light. Just thinking about her makes my stomach flip. It's been a while since I thought of someone this much, and she exceeds that. She's flawless – soft skin, perfect smile, and a silky voice.

I just never expected her to have a daughter.

And that's where my anxiety peaks.

"Harold."

The familiar voice makes my insides crumble. I don't stand, letting my dad sit down across from me. He wears his usual black suit and white button up–minus the tie. He accepts the coffee I bought him minutes ago, taking a sip and sighing with relieve. It's been a while since I've seen him, or so it feels.

"How are you?" he asked.

"Fine," I shrugged.

Two months ago if we were having this conversation it'd be entirely different. Two months ago we did this a conversation – and I was serious about it all. Then graduation came and my mum told me she wanted me to take time off and figure out what I really want because to her I wasn't the boy she raised.

"How are you?" I questioned.

"Fine," he chuckled. "Figured you made up your mind when you called me and asked to meet but I see that's not the case. You'd have your bags with you." He's snide; knowing very well how to hit me where it he knows I'm weak.

"I didn't call you to come here," I mentioned causally, hoping not to break a sweat. "I called you because I was to renegotiate–"

"Harry," he shook his head, cutting me off, "I cut you a lot of slack. All I do for you. . . You're entirely ungrateful. Some guys would be at my feet begging for this job."

"I'm not all guys, I'm your son."

And that's when he freezes. I think he forgets that we're related and not business pals. All my life he's pushed me to exceed normal standards and be the top of my class. Here I am, having achieved virtually everything except accepting the job offer with his company. Sure, it could lead to millions. . . but do I need that?

Is money really what I'm missing? Months ago I'd say yes. Now I'm turning the tables. Money is exactly what made my father the man he is. And I want to be better than him.

I rolled my eyes and sighed, sitting back in the chair. My eyes skim across the room, mostly to avoid my father's glare and I meet Peter's eyes instead. He furrows his brows, looking slightly confused. I don't possibly know why. Maybe he found out that I'm sleeping with his best friend.

At first, I swore I thought he loved her. Then I realized that their relationship doesn't exceed that level of intimacy. It's strictly sibling-like. Peter looks away, tending to a customer.