12. bittersweet

I'm curious, how do you guys read on Wattpad? Computer or phone?

🌺

Whether I like it or not, I'm playing out scenarios in my head as I drive to the docks where restaurants and bars line it—most family oriented, but a few for the tourists and locals in town to hang out. It was mostly considered a sports bar, with a whole wall that opened out to the boardwalk, tables set up, Christmas lights shining bright. During the day it was a nice restaurant to go to with friends or family, at night everyone came to drink. As I pull up into a parking spot, my mind taunts me with what I've been thinking about the whole ride over here. My future.

It's not even my future I have to worry about, but my daughter's too. I sigh, resting my head back and closing my eyes.

Why am I always so ahead of myself? Why can't I just have one night where I don't have to worry about reality?

As much as I love spending time with Harry, there's a part of me that thinks he's an ultimate distraction. A bittersweet taste of what could've been if I hadn't let Austin destroy my heart entirely.

Maybe Harry touches me well, kisses me perfectly, listens to me and sweeps me off my feet. But in a few months, where do I honestly see us? He hasn't even met Eliana yet, let alone told me anything about the job he has an interview for in three weeks.

With skepticism and a tinge of attitude, I drag myself out of the car. You'll have to face my demons eventually, mom told me once. Not that Harry is remotely a demon to me, it's the insecurity that comes with a relationship with him. All those skeletons in my closet, and the ones he hasn't unveiled to me yet either.

Inside, the humidity doesn't ease much. There are a few fans going, TVs lining the wall and a musky smell of alcohol, sweat, and mixed perfumes. I move further into the restaurant, scanning the room for the curly haired man that kissed the breath out of my lungs earlier. When I finally spot him, a rush of heat finds its way to my cheeks. I smile to myself, moving towards the table where he sits with his friends.

"There she is!" Niall's drunken voice boomed. "We were just talking about ya."

Liam smacked his arm, shooting him a knowing look. My smile faltered a bit, but deep down I knew they couldn't have said anything bad. At least, I hoped. Harry pulled me in and kissed my cheek. "Hello, my love."

I blushed wildly. "Hello, handsome."

I sat beside him on one of the stools, resting my arms on the smooth wooden table. Harry rubbed my back a bit and leaned towards me. "Don't worry, nothing bad could ever be said about you," he mused. "You're perfect."

I laughed, "I've heard it all, trust me."

His smile falters like mine did moments ago. "You okay?"

"I'm peachy," I smiled falsely, wishing that he didn't have that pushy look in his eyes right now. "I'm going to go get a drink—"

"No, I'll get you one," Harry insisted, hoping off his stool. He headed through the crowd, leaving me alone at a table full of people I barely know.

Maybe if I had a little alcohol running through my veins, this would be easier, but tonight feels off. I take a deep breathing, trying to ease my pointless annoyance. Avery suddenly comes to the table, smiling widely.

"Oh my gosh, hey!" She gave me a friendly hug and took Harry's seat. The guys sat across from us, going on about some TV show while Avery spoke up again, "how are you? Feels like it's been forever since I've seen you and it's literally been like, a week."