17. broken glass

🌼

The vacancy beside me in bed is left warm as if the person occupying the space only just left. I stare at it for a few minutes as the rising sun shines in through my curtains, warming up the rest of the room. Last night, with champagne lazily intoxicating my veins, I told him that I love him. It's not that I'm second guessing those words. I know deep down that I meant them. I'm second guessing the circumstances which surround us.

Giggles drift down the hall, breaking the silence. Slowly, I sit up, listening carefully to make sure I didn't just imagine it. More giggles filter through the cracks in my bedroom door. I'm a little confused as I climb off my bed and begin to get dressed, pulling on an oversized t-shirt and a pair of underwear. In the corner of the room, Harry's backpack remains unzipped. Is he still here?

Down the hall, the laughter belonging to my sweet and innocent daughter echo off the walls and grow louder. In the kitchen, Harry is standing at the kitchen counter wearing a pair of sweatpants but lacking a shirt. In his arms, the two-and-a-half-year-old wears a diaper and a pink t-shirt. Her curls are a mess, looking unbrushed and tangled. Harry looks over at her, popping a blueberry into her mouth. Eliana claps and giggles, "more!"

"Blueberries are supposed to be a treat," I muse from the corner of the room. Harry looks back, his eyes widening as if he's been caught. Eliana gasps and covers her eyes, knowing very well that her mama doesn't give her them in the morning.

"Uh-oh," Eliana whispers to Harry.

Harry chuckles, shooting me a guilty look. "Sorry. She was crying this morning and you were still sleeping, so I figured I'd get her... I should've woken you up."

"No, it's okay." I walk over to him, putting my hand to his back as I lean in and kiss Eliana on the nose. She giggles, pulling her hands away from her face. "Morning, princess."

"Morning, mama," she nestles closer to Harry and my heart lurches towards the both of them. It's obvious that she's comfortable with him, but deep down I can't help but wonder if I should slow down this attachment.

Like so many times before, I have to remind myself that it's not just me that will be affected by heart break, it's both of us now that we are one. And I don't want Eliana to ever feel that pain, not this young. One day she might get her heartbroken, and when that time comes I'll help her confront the pain, but until then, I have to try my hardest to protect her at all costs.

"Are you okay?" Harry asks suddenly.

My eyes drift up to his, seeing his emerald eyes staring back at me so intently. My skepticism is bleeding back into my thoughts as I take the toddler from his arms and hold her close, brushing back her hair without pulling at any knots. She hates when I have to detangle her hair.

"I'm fine, Harry. Last night was perfect," I smile. His face softens with relief, but I can see a flicker of doubt behind his eyes.

*  *  *

H.

For once, Liam has the air conditioner on. It feels good on my skin when I walk into the house, partially wondering if anyone is here. My thoughts are interrupted when I hear Avery's voice. She must be on the phone. When I walk into the kitchen, that assumption is confirmed. She glances over at me, brows furrowing before she says goodbye to the person on the other line.

"Liam was wondering where you were," she says. "He's out back working on the deck."

"I spent the night at Diana's," I shrug, taking a water bottle from the fridge. The cold water trickles down my throat and I try not to be too annoyed when I see surprise wash over Avery's face. Her brows pull up and she even smirks. "Say what's on your mind," I groan.