03 | React

A/N Direct continuation from Chapter 2. Enjoy :-)

------------

-2014- 

1 year after the breakup

"You're bi? As in, bisexual? Like, boys and girls, bi?" Robert asked repeatedly.

"Yes, Robert. I'm pretty sure we learned this in sex ed." Kristen huffed, rolling her eyes at Robert's reaction. She didn't know what to expect when she came here to come out to him, but she didn't expect this at all. It was...underwhelming, to say the least.

"Okay. Cool." Robert nodded, taking a long swig from his bottle of Heineken. Kristen raised an eyebrow at his calm demeanor.

"That's it? That's all you have to say?" She questioned. Robert was always one to overreact, and what he was doing barely passed as a reaction. She'd go so far as to say that he was under reacting.

"Yeah, well, I don't know. What do you want me to say?" He said, following it with an exasperated sigh.

"I don't know, anything to show that you actually care?" Robert looked up, his body slightly tensed as he heard the words come out of her mouth.

Robert pointed a finger to Kristen. "O-ho. That's not fair. Don't play that card, Kristen. You know how much I care."

Kristen was left speechless. She knew she was over the line, but she needed to know that on some level, Robert still cared for her.

"Hey, look. I think it's great. If you're happy, then I'm happy for you." He pulled her close, planting an affectionate kiss on her hair just like he used to. She leaned against him, her head on his shoulder and took his hand in hers.

"Thanks, Rob." She smiles as her fingers trace circles at the back of his hand.

"Quick question, though." Kristen looked up at him curiously.

"Yeah, what is it?"

"Which is better, doing it with a girl or with a guy?"

Kristen snorted. Yeah, leave it to Rob to ruin a perfectly good moment. "Oh, fuck off Rob."

Robert smirked, wagging his eyebrows as he teased her. "I'm serious! Well, I'm pretty sure you enjoyed doing it with a guy. I should know, especially when I did that thing with my -"

"Oh my fucking god, do not finish that sentence." Kristen pulled away, trying hard not to laugh at him at that moment. Robert raised his hands and backed off a few inches from her.

"Hey, I know you liked it."

Kristen fell back on the couch, sinking into the soft leather cushions. "Seriously though? I just fall in love with a person, their gender comes second. Sex is great, but it's not the only thing that matters."

"I know. I get it. It's just...wow. I've got you as competition now. Next thing you know, you'll be snatching up the girls in the pub. That's not fair, you get both guys and girls." He said with a pout.

Kristen bumped him on the shoulder. "C'mon. You know a lot of guys would do anything to get you in their bed."

"Yeah, no. Not gonna happen. I think I'm a bit traumatized by my modeling career. Ugh. Androgynous done bad is the worst thing that could happen to a young man." He shuddered at the thought of his early modeling days. Needless to say, it wasn't the highlight of his career.

"Aww. Don't be such a wuss, Claudia." A look of horror crossed his features when he heard the name his sisters used to call him until he was twelve.

"Don't call me that name! Shut up!" Kristen chuckled as Rob's face went red. After the laughter died down, the two enjoyed the familiarity of each other, the awkwardness of the past year eventually becoming a thing of the past.

"So, you're really okay with me being what I am?" She asked quietly. Robert held her hand and gave her a smile.

"Of course I am! It's who you are Kris. You're still my best friend, and I love you no matter what."

The two exchanged a warm hug, reveling in the comfort in this simple action. Robert knew that he could never stay away from Kristen even if he tried, and no matter what she needed, he would always be there.

On the other hand, Kristen knew that even if she was attracted to both genders, Robert still attracted her in a way that no one else could. He had made a mark on her, and that was something that would never go away. 

Now, what used to be romance is now replaced with a different kind of love, one that loves another person unconditionally, a love that comforts. The love these two have for each other might not be the same love that brought them together, but it was the one that kept them together, even if it was just as friends.

Or at least, that's what they wanted to believe.