16 | Flushed

Before we get to the story, Just a reminder that the "One More Time, with Reading" contest is now up! Check it out over at @Puddlebird 's profile. The scavenger hunt is open! I hope you participate!

This is done in support of Kristen and her group's initiative to build a school in Nicaragua. 

Anyway, here we go! 

________

"Robert, we need to talk."

Tahliah's words echoed in his head as he was waiting for her at his house. The wait was nerve-wracking, to say the least. 

He knew their relationship was on rocky territory already, and yet he somehow thought that it would be okay that his ex-girlfriend - who also just happened to be carrying his child- would be living with him in the same house. 

Yes, that makes everything completely better. 

He didn't know how to approach the subject with his girlfriend, but he had an idea that she would be making the decision for him. 

He heard a car pulling up and jumped out of his seat. As he pulled the door open, he saw Tahliah standing there, a wistful smile on her face. 

"Hello, Robert." She greeted him, standing on his doorstep. 

"Tahliah. Hey. Come on in." He said. He was hesitant to touch her, not sure if she would be receptive to it. 

"So, we need to talk huh?" She said, sitting down on the couch. Robert was nervous as he made his way to the armchair beside it. 

"I guess we do."

"Robert, look. I'm sorry if I've been away. I just didn't know..." She trailed off, searching for the right words to say. "I just didn't how to tell you this."

"You know you can tell me anything, Tahl."

"Yeah, I know. I just... Robert. I can't do this anymore."

Robert was silent. He knew this was coming, and he couldn't deny that he was thinking the same thing as well. He didn't know what to say to make this all better, because one way or another it was bound to happen. 

She reached for his hand, placing an object in it. 

"Tahl, it's the claddagh ring. You don't have to..."

"Rob, I know. Remember when you got it for me? You said it was a promise. A promise for our tomorrow together." He was twirling it with his fingers, not sure what to do with it. "But Rob, I can't keep that promise anymore. Because your tomorrow isn't supposed to be with me."

"What are you talking about?" He frowned, looking at her curiously. "You know I love you, Tahl." 

"I know you do. But your heart isn't mine to hold." She pointed to the heart on the gold ring. "That heart, your heart, belongs to someone else." 

"What do you mean?"

"Robert, please don't make me spell it out for you because I'm pretty sure that's insulting." She sighed.  "I'm talking about Kristen. You might not see it, but I'm sure everyone else does."

"But I'm not in love with Kristen. I'm in love with you." He pleaded. His words wanted to convince her, but deep inside he was also trying to convince himself.

"That doesn't mean you don't love her, Rob." Tahliah said quietly, rubbing his arm.  "Robert, I'm not mad, okay? We've had a great time. But do me a favor. Go after the girl who has your heart."