Chapter 6

This chapter Brenna finds out what Elijah has been hiding...

Chapter 6

As I slowly began to wake up, I felt the sun on my face coming through the gap in the curtains. I groaned, still sleepy but knowing it would be best to get up and face the consequences of my kiss with Penn. After all I'd kissed him back, I couldn't blame just him. 

I rolled onto my other side away from the sun. I blinked several times before opening my eyes fully.  

I screamed perfect dark eyes were staring back at me.  

"Crap! You idiot," I shouted as I swiftly sat up.  

"Sorry, babe, I didn't mean to scare you," he said sheepishly and he kissed me gently. 

His eyes found my sketch book. "Wow, you've been drawing again that's so amazing, I'm proud of you." 

"Don't be," I said a little too harshly but I couldn't stand the guilt I was feeling. 

"Okay, we'll not talk about it," he said gently.  

I smiled weakly. "How did you get in?" 

"Your mom's at work. Penn let me in... Um, he said you had something to tell me." 

Penn was such a jerk. Was he trying to break up me and Elijah? I would never have told my mom. I wasn't going to give him the satisfaction of hurting everyone I cared about. 

"Yeah, it's not exciting. I have the morning off, Lucia is back at work today," I said, thinking quickly. 

"Awesome, we'll go get breakfast."  

I brushed my teeth and took a quick shower while Eli sat in my room. I walked into my room in just my underwear as I dried my hair with a towel. A small smile appeared on Elijah's face. He was sitting on my bed and he smirked at me. 

"You look hot," he said playfully.  

I shook my head laughing and started rummaging through my wardrobe for my favourite black skinny jeans.  

He lounged on my bed as I rushed through my morning routine.  

I yanked on the faded jeans and finished with a white tank top and black converse sneakers. I quickly dried my hair, enhancing my natural curls and put on my make-up.  

When we came down stairs, Penn was sitting on the sofa absentmindedly flicking through the TV. 

"Hey, you two off to anywhere nice?" he asked not looking away from the screen. 

"Just breakfast, if my mom calls, tell her I'll be at the restaurant around midday." 

"Will do. Can I talk to you a sec, Bren?" he said with a slight smirk.  

"We have to go, I don't have much time before work," I said trying to get away from him as soon as possible. 

"Honestly, it will just take a sec." 

"I'll wait in the car, babe," Eli said and he kissed my cheek gently before leaving the room. 

I realised then that I was alone with Penn. 

"So, Babe, you two looked happy. You obviously haven't told him." 

"Yeah, and I'm not going to, last night was a mistake. You're a manipulative jerk and you're dating my mom... I bet you haven't told her." 

He just laughed at my snide comment. "So, Bren, how old are you?" 

"I'm nineteen and you know fine well I am, grandpa." I gave him a snarky smile.