Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Connecticut  

Twenty One Months Ago

"Will you stop staring at me, Eli, please," I said as I finished drying my hair. I was standing in front of my mirror in boy shorts and a tank top.  

"I'm sorry, I just can't believe you're mine," he said as he stood behind me putting his arms around my waist and kissing down my neck and back.  

"Behave, Elijah, I have to get ready for school, plus, you shouldn't even be here in the first place. I mean, my mom and dad are not exactly your number one fans. My parents would kill you if they knew you were in my room, not to mention I'd slept with you. I think they'd kill you if they knew that. I'm meant to be their sweet and innocent seventeen year old daughter," I giggled.  

"You innocent please," he smirked as he kissed across my collar bone.  

"I'm very sweet and innocent and you know it."  

"Do I really?" he laughed. 

"Yes. And you love everything about me. You just can't resist me. But right now you can't have me," I smirked. 

He spun me around so we were face to face. "You're such a little tease, you know that? But I guess that's why I love you." He wrapped his arms around me resting his hands on my lower back. "I love everything about you, and I have done from the first day I met you. Your natural beauty, your kindness, your amazing eyes, your perfect lips..." he said as he leaned closer to me.  

"You're such a suck up, Mr. Jackson," I smiled seductively.  

"I try," he laughed. "But it's my charm and dashing good looks, the ladies can't resist me."  

"Well, the ladies can't have you because you are all mine. However, you are so full of yourself and rather obnoxious I might add," I said, my lips almost touching his.  

"Is that so?" he said tightening his hold on me so I couldn't move. He pressed his lips to mine. 

"Yes..." I tried to say between his kisses.  

He slipped in his tongue deepening the kiss.  

He pulled me down onto my bed, our lips still touching and he pulled down the straps of my tee. 

I gently pushed my hands against his chest. "No, Eli, come on, my mom and Chris are downstairs," I said breathlessly.  

"Being a good girl today are we, Miss Larson? I know you're not innocent," he smirked. He took my hand from his chest and kissed along every finger. "Do you really have to go to school today?" he groaned.  

"Yes, I do. Just because you're the bad boy and twenty-two and graduated four years ago doesn't mean you can be a bad influence on me." 

Before I could answer my mom interrupted shouting my name from downstairs. "Bren, I'm taking Christopher to school then I'm going straight to the restaurant. Your dad is already there; will you be okay locking up? And make sure you're not late for school." 

"I'm fine, Mom. I'm seventeen, I can dress myself, I can drive a car, I'm sure I can lock the house up and get myself to school on time," I shouted.  

"Okay, love you, Bren, see you tonight." 

"Love you, Mom." 

When we heard the front door close we burst out laughing. 

"See, you're parents are gonna be out all day. Come on, you know you want to spend the day with me." 

I rolled my eyes. "Stop corrupting me, boy," I laughed. I gently trailed my fingertips up and down his arm before stopping on his strange tattoo. It was a cross with a snake wrapped around it. "You've never told me the story behind this or what it means," I remarked. 

His hand gently grabbed my wrist removing it from his arm and he kissed my palm. "Oh, it's not important, babe, just a stupid thing I had done when I was eighteen, and I'll regret it forever," he said laughing. Yet, his laugh seemed off, wrong almost. Why did he always make me feel so uncomfortable when I asked him about his past? I always felt like he was brushing my questions aside and he didn't want to answer them. 

I knew my suspicions and worries were written all over my face, I couldn't hide how I was feeling and he noticed it instantly. 

"What?" he asked. 

"Eli, why are you so secretive about your life? I mean, we've been together for over a year now and we've slept together, but I just feel like you're keeping a whole part of yourself from me."  

He gently caressed my cheek. "One day I will tell you, Bren, when I'm ready, when I feel you're ready, please just trust me for now."  

I nodded. "I do trust you," I whispered. 

He rolled gently, pressing me into the bed. He slowly drew himself up onto his elbows, so that he was looking down at me, his dark eyes so beautiful, staring into mine. "I love you so much, Brenna Larson." He kissed across my cheek to my lips, outlining the shape of my mouth with gentle kisses before kissing me deeply.  

Soon we were both breathless and he moved his mouth to my neck, giving us a chance to breathe. He brushed his lips across my throat.  

"Stay with me, you know you want to," he whispered into the hollow of my throat. 

"Okay, fine you win," I sighed. 

"Good," he said smugly. He kissed my neck before his lips found mine again. Our lips moved together perfectly. At that moment, all that existed was him; all I felt, all I breathed, all I wanted, was him. Nothing else mattered.

I didn't know what time it was or how long we'd been as sleep but to be honest I didn't really care. I curled myself closer to him and he tightened his arms around me.  

He looked at his watch and frowned. "God, it's almost one, maybe I should go now."  

"No, don't go, I've already missed all my morning classes and I want you here," I said, clinging to him. "I mean, my mom won't be back until at least six. I don't want to waste any of the limited time we have together."  

He pulled the covers up around us and kissed my forehead. He sighed deeply.  

"What's wrong?" I asked.  

"Nothing, babe, don't worry about it." 

I shifted in his arms so I could see his face. "You sure, you look worried."  

He dropped his eyes from mine. "Yeah, Bren, it's nothing for you to worry about." He squeezed my hand reassuringly. "I love you," he whispered. 

His face looked pained and I pulled him towards me and pressed his lips to my own. I wanted to make him feel better even if he wouldn't tell me what was wrong. "I love you too. You have no idea how much you've changed my life," I smiled. 

His lips found mine again and after several minutes, I was the one who had to break away, gasping for air. Yet, his lips never left my skin, they hovered over my throat.  

When I'd regained my breath, I pulled his mouth back to mine, and he seemed just as eager as I was. He gripped my waist and pulled me onto his chest.  

We made out until we were breathing heavily again and I lay my head across him. He wrapped his arms around me holding me as close as possible to him and once again I fell asleep in his arms.