3.4// Mileage

Graduation came faster than anyone was expecting, Luke was obviously the least prepared out of the bunch. It was the day before the ceremony and Melody had kept pestering him to pick out an outfit to wear under his cap and gown, which he looked terribly funny in. He was so tall that the gown truly looked like a bed sheet was draped over him. Luke also wasn't taking Melody's advice on picking something out to wear, because he didn't see what the big deal was since just about no one was going to see what was under his horrid graduation gown.

Melody was making her way to her friend's houses, picking them up one by one so they could stuff themselves into her car. They were all going to hang out somewhere, they hadn't decided yet, because they wanted to celebrate the almost end of high school. Nikki was in the front seat of the car, she had turned the music up so loud that Melody could barely hear herself think. The windows were down, making the girl's hair fly wildly around their face, which was a problem for Mel since she was trying to steer her car without being blinded by her hair. Autumn was the next person to make her way into the car. Then it was Luke, Michael, and Ashton. There really weren't enough seats in the car, but Melody still had one more stop to make.

Melody pulled up to Calum's house, and waited for him to make his way outside. Luke looked at Michael, who didn't seem too bothered by the situation. There were enough of them here to not make the whole thing uncomfortable. Calum walked outside, his hand linked with Ali's. Calum asked if she could tag along, he didn't want her to be alone, and to everyone's surprise Melody agreed. They both peered into Melody's crammed car, Calum let out a laugh while shaking his head.

"There's a field near by, we can all walk there. There's no way we're all fitting in here," Calum suggested.

Melody shrugged, "You could have fit, it just probably wouldn't have been the safest."

Calum playfully rolled his eyes, as Melody and the rest of the group piled out of the car. Luke found his way to Melody's side and locked their fingers together, Melody started swinging their arms back and forth with the biggest smile on her face. It was warm for a night in early June, and even if it were to get colder they had each other to lean on to share body heat. 

The walk to the field Calum had spoken about took around five minutes, everyone moved to the middle of the field. The grass was still dead from the winter, which in Melody's head meant the bugs weren't out and crawling around yet. Luke sat down first and tugged Mel's hand so she was close enough to him.

The group was chatting away with their voices soft, because it was the time of night that everything was so quiet and still and they didn't want to disturb it too much. Luke was absentmindedly playing with Melody's fingers while she stared up at the constellations in the sky.

"High school is really over tomorrow," she mused, finally taking her eyes away from the stars so they found Luke's eyes which were just as pretty.

The corner's of his mouth quirked up, "I don't think I'll miss it."

Melody nodded, she wouldn't exactly miss it either. She was coming out of it with the friend's and boyfriend of her dreams, so she was just looking forward to making more memories with them in the future.

"So," Nikki spoke a bit louder than everyone had previously been, "What are we all doing after we graduate like college or whatever, since we've barely talked about it?"

Luke's throat instantly felt dry, and his grip on Melody's hand tightened considerably. They still hadn't talked about what was going to happen, yes they had the whole summer to figure things out but that would come and go too quickly.

"Well I'm trying to pop out this baby," Ali started, rubbing a hand over her slightly protruding baby bump. Calum laughed, and bumped the girl with his shoulder. Things between the two were better, they weren't dating anymore for obvious reasons, but Calum was still a good friend to her.