Chapter 16

Vic's POV

I make my way towards the door, being forced into small talk along the way by my guests. It is probably rude to abandon my own company's party, but I have more important business to attend to, and I'm sure Mike can handle everything when they notice I'm gone.

I locate my car in the full parking lot and quickly start it up. On the way to the apartment, I rack my brain for what exactly I am going to to say to Kellin. I can't risking fucking this up, so it needs to be perfect. Maybe when he opens the door, I'll pull him into a passionate kiss. At first, that seems like a great idea, but then I realize that might make things worse. The cause of this entire situation is a lack of communication, so I shouldn't try to avoid conversation by kissing him. I'll just march right up to that door, apologize profusely, and win him back with my words. That sounds like a plan, so I just turn up the music and try to stay calm the rest of the journey.

A few short minutes later, I arrive at the apartment Kellin and Alysha have been staying at. I take a deep breath before getting out of car and approaching the door. I firmly knock on the door, making sure that he would be able to hear it. I wait a moment for him to open the door, but he doesn't come. I peek inside the small window next to the door, and I see his shoes sitting on the floor. It's obvious he's home, and he hasn't even come up to the door to see who it is, so what is he doing? Maybe he's in the bathroom. I decide to wait on the porch for a little bit in case he's unable to answer the door right away. About ten minutes of playing 2048 on my phone, I try again. I knock loudly, making sure he'll be able to hear it no matter where he is in the apartment. Still, no one answers. I growl in frustration and run a hand through my hair. I look around the complex to make sure no one is outside before grabbing the knob and getting ready to slam myself into the door. Before I can even move, the door opens. I am surprised to see that it's unlocked. I don't why it would be, seeing as Kellin is home, but in this area of the neighborhood, they should lock their door at all times. I quietly enter, listening for Kellin so I can find him. I hear nothing and start to worry. I know he doesn't go anywhere without his TOMS, so he has to be home. I check my watch, and it's much too early for him to be asleep. Besides, he always watches cartoons at this time. I start to look around. The kitchen and small dining area are empty, so I go into the living room, and there's still no sign of Kellin. I look through the bedrooms and bathroom, and he's not in any of them. I groan and glance around once more. Where the hell could he be? I didn't want him to get upset that I was in his home without permission, but I have no choice. I call out his name, not even knowing if he'll respond when he recognizes my voice. There is no answer, and I go to leave. Right as I turn towards the front hall, I barely catch the sound of a sob. I freeze and listen carefully. The sound is very muffled, but I hear it coming from my right. I venture towards that door, and it leads me back to Kellin's bedroom. I look around and take in the scent of him lingering in the air. I nearly forget what I was doing until I hear another choked sob. I try to locate the sound, and it seems to be coming from a wardrobe next to the bed. I examine it and try to move it away from the wall. It's fastened tightly to the wall, so I try a different approach. I dig through the drawers, rifling through familiar tutus and t-shirts until I feel something sharp prick my fingertip. I yank my hand back, staring at the tiny drop of blood that has popped to the surface. I ignore the slight sting coming from the spot and look for whatever is hiding in this drawer. I find an open safety pin and take it out. Kellin hated safety pins because he liked his clothes to be baggy, and so he had no need to pin anything back. I throw the pin on the ground in anger, not being any closer to finding the location of the sobs I can still hear. I feel my eyes start to burn as tears well up. They aren't tears of sadness; they are hot, fat tears of anger. I am angry, at myself, at the pin, at the sobs. I don't know what to do with myself, so I sink against the wall and let the tears freely run down my cheeks. I join the mystery person in their pain and sob violently into my arms. I just want my Kellin! I beat against the wall and the side of the wardrobe as my anger forces its way out of me. The wardrobe rocks from the force of my hits, and suddenly I feel wetness on the side of my fist. I pause and check my hand, only to find a large gash dripping with blood. I glare at it before looking to see what had caused it. I find a small metal keyhole on the corner on the wardrobe. I must have hit it in my rage and tore open my hand on the metal. Then it dawns on me that there is an odd keyhole in an odd place on this wardrobe, and the pieces click in my mind. I scramble to find the pin and shove it into the hole. It jiggles around a bit, but then I hear a tiny snapping sound, and the wardrobe is pulled away from the wall slightly. I push it away further, revealing a door. I open it, and the sobbing gets louder. I smile in victory to myself, but when another shaky cry makes its way up to me, it drops. I quickly jog down the stairs and into darkness. I almost gag from the awful smell of mold and vegetables. Running my hands along the wall, it takes me a second to find the light switch. The lights flicker on, not lighting the room very well, but just enough for me to see my surroundings. I turn to glance around, but I am thrown into shock by that voice.

"D-Daddy?"