Chapter eight

That night I had too many dreams to count, and woke up constantly throughout the night. John was always there to help me fall back asleep. I felt bad for keeping him up all night, but I was really glad he was there. The last time he had put me to sleep he had started to sing a lullaby, normally, that would mean he’s about to gas someone; but this was actually soothing to me.

“Ring around the Rosie.” He whispered, stroking my arm. “Pocket full of posies. Ashes, ashes, we all fall down.” He finished and I fell into a dreamless sleep.

“Katrina.” A voice called, shaking my shoulder. I groaned and tried to move away. The voice laughed softly and grabbed my shoulder again.

“I will bite you.” I growled and I felt the person breathing down my neck.

“I don’t think you’d do that little Storm.” He laughed. I smiled and rolled over, playfully biting his shoulder.

“Take that Crane.” I whispered with a smile on my face.

“I underestimated you.” He chuckled.

“Eddie would have told you that was stupid; underestimating me is a bad thing.” I murmured still half asleep.

“Eddie… and do you miss him?” he asked quietly.

“Yes,” I sighed. “I miss him a lot.” I said before snapping my eyes open and glaring at an entirely too happy Dr. Crane.

“Gotcha.” He smiled at me. “Now you know how Nigma felt.”

“Except for the fact that he actually liked me,” I grumbled and rolled my eyes, flipping onto my back and sighed. “Not anymore.”

“Sure he does, he’s just as stubborn as you and refuses to admit it to himself is all.” He rolled his eyes.

“Um no, let’s get this straight right now.” I said looking at him. “I am way more stubborn than him.”

“And how do you figure that?” he raised an eyebrow, seeming utterly amused.

“I am a southern belle.” I smiled. “Born and somewhat raised in southern Louisiana. No one gets more stubborn… well maybe a Bama girl would, but that’s it.” I laughed.

“Okay, let’s see who holds out the longest then.” He smirked down at me. “I bet you go running to him in days.”

“I can go months without seeing that face of his.” I glared. “How dare you test my will power?”

“See, now you’re sounding like him.” He sighed and got off my bed. My eyes lingered on his abbs and he just laughed.

“Like what you see?” he teased.

“I still think someone else looks better.” I cooed.

“Ya, Riddler.” He laughed.

“No. Johnny Depp.” I smirked to myself. He sighed and grabbed a shirt that I hadn’t seen, lying on the foot of my bed. “And just how do you plan on leaving my room without the police, Richard, Bruce, or Nigma finding out?” I asked evilly.

“Same way I came in. Through your window.” He shrugged.

“It’s broad daylight.” I rolled my eyes standing up. My t-shirt had completely fallen over one shoulder, revealing a small portion of Zsasz’s ‘creation.’ Before I knew what was happening, I was pushed against the wall and the back of my shirt was lifted almost over my head. “What the hell Crane?” I hissed. I could feel his finger tracing the scar.

“Who did this?” he whispered.

“Zsasz.” I muttered. “The day Edward got to me.” He let me go and pulled my shirt back down.