chapter 18

We pulled up and I ran inside the house. I flung open the door and looked at Richard standing over the stove.

“Hey.” He laughed at my facial expression; it was one of horror. “I just finished ordering pizza.” He laughed at me.

“Good.” I sighed, smiling up at him. Alfred walked in and looked between the two of us.

“So, what did he burn?”

“Nothing.” I smiled. “He ordered pizza.”

“Well, it’s better than the chicken from last time.” Alfred chuckled.

“How as I supposed to know it burned quickly?” Richard frowned.

“Well, you can usually smell it.” I started before he glared at me. “I’m just saying!”

“Sure.” He said slowly. “So when’s Bruce going to be home?”

“He said not too late but he has some meetings.” I shrugged flopping down on the side couch that faced the fireplace. “I say we eat what we want and then leave a couple of slices for him.”

“That wouldn’t be very nice.” Alfred scolded me.

“Okay, we’ll leave him half a pizza. Fair?” Alf just shook his head and walked out the room.

“Sounds good to me.” Richard smiled and sat down on the center couch. “Let’s see what’s on shall we?”

“Go for it.” I shrugged as he picked up the remote and flipped through the channels. He stopped on some action movie that didn’t interest me in any way. The doorbell rang and I got up. “Where’s the money?” I called as I neared the door.

“Countertop.” He waved. I walked over to the edge of the stone counter and found the bills.

“Thanks.” I walked to the door and opened it. The poor kid was holding what looked like twelve pizzas. I quickly grabbed the top few and brought them inside. “Sorry.” I smiled at the kid before realizing who it was.

“It’s no problem really.” Josh muttered. He walked in a set down the rest of the boxes.

“Here.” I handed him the cash. He paused and we just stood there for a while. I was about to say something before he shoved his hands in his pockets and looked at the ground.

“I’ll see you tomorrow.” He muttered before leaving.

“What’s up with you two?” Richard frowned at me.

“He’s not very happy with a choice in friends that I made.” I said. “Tessa, Molly, and Gavin pretty much don’t talk to me anymore.”

“What did you do?”

“I chose to give someone a chance that shouldn’t have gotten it.” I shrugged. “But it’s not like they’ll listen to me about anything.”

“Give them a chance this time then.” He smiled. I walked over and sat down next to him.

“Maybe.” I sighed, turning and draping my legs across him, lying down comfortably.

“Happy?” he teased.

“Yup.” I smiled closing my eyes. “And I’m not moving for a little while.”

“Alright.” He chuckled. He focused on the TV again and I drifted off to sleep.

--- Richard’s POV---

I looked down and saw she had passed out again. At least she’s actually sleeping again; I didn’t think she would have lasted much longer with those nightmares. She stirred in her sleep so I grabbed a blanket and draped it over the two of us. The movie went to an Alice in Wonderland commercial, causing me to frown. How had Jervis gotten in her room this morning? It was a good thing I had been out that night, otherwise who knows what would’ve happened to her. I don’t understand why they constantly mess with her. Sure she’s different compared to other teens, but still. What made her so interesting to them?