Chapter 35

I didn’t really dream that night. It was probably because I was anxious to ask Edward about my parents and how he knew them. Why did Hush kill them? What did he mean when he said that wasn’t supposed to happen? I eventually just got up and took a shower; there was no way for me to get any rest at this point. I stepped out and put on some ripped skinny jeans and a short cut off that read, ‘Trouble Maker.’ I put a green tank top on under it so that I wasn’t showing too much skin. I did my make up and fixed my hair like normal before walking out into the living room. I saw Ed come out of his office with a worried look on his face.

“What’s wrong?” I smiled at him, walking over to give him a hug. He tried to smile but it was too forced.

“Luna, Ra’s has her.” He whispered and I stiffened.

“What?” I breathed. He nodded his head and ran a hand through his unruly red hair. He sighed and shook it off.

“Don’t worry. John’s going to get her and everything will be fine.” He smiled reassuringly at me.

“Alright,” I sighed. “But you’re not getting off that easily.” I said strongly.

“What are you talking about?” he frowned slightly.

“You owe me answers Mr. Nigma.” I pulled him over to the couch and he sat down next to me. “And you don’t get to answer them in riddles, challenges, or questions.”

“Fair enough.” He smiled at me. “I can do it for you… just this once.” I couldn’t help but smile.

“Give me two seconds.” I muttered, running into my room and grabbing the knife my dad left to me. “Alright,” I sighed, looking at him hopefully. “Start from the beginning. How did you know my parents?” he sighed and got comfortable, reaching for my hand. We intertwined our fingers before he spoke.

“It was a long time ago, when I was just starting you could say.” He smiled at the old memory. “Well, it wasn’t that long ago, but it was far enough back that Crane and I were working with the new villain; Hush.” He got quiet as I shivered for a second at his name. “Your parents, they needed money and a job. Your father came to me one day, claiming he knew the Batman’s identity and wouldn’t tell me.” He chuckled to himself as he got a far off look. “It took me hours to figure out that nothing I did would make him tell me; other than offer him a job and protection for he and his wife. I was opposed to the idea at first; no one should ever have a person whom they have an emotional attachment to work with them.” I looked up at him and he smirked back at me. “I was young and foolish then.”

“So you weren’t smart?”

“I never said that.” He frowned before shaking his head and resuming his story. “I eventually ‘took them in’ and started them on small stuff. They’d go out and collect information for me or set up cameras. It was simple and low risk; that’s when I found out that they worked for my old employer at the same time. I was furious at first. How could they put that job before mine? I quickly used it to my advantage though. I didn’t need your father to tell me who the Batman was; it didn’t take me but another two years to figure it out with sound proof to back it up. At that time your mother, she was beautiful, she wasn’t around nearly as much. Your father took up her share of the deal and they were both getting edgy.” He sighed and looked at me cautiously. “I guessed as much as to what was going on, but I didn’t pay much attention to it.”

“Until they left.” I mumbled and he nodded.

“When they left I knew what happened and I was furious. They left during the most critical point of my plan. Everything fell apart and it took me years to get back on track. One day Hush pointed out the fact that they owed a significant amount of money to us and were still supposed to be working for us. Finding them wasn’t a problem at all, but I couldn’t go and neither could John. Hush volunteered and I approved it. He was supposed to bring them back to me; you, well you weren’t supposed to come unless absolutely necessary.” He said slowly. I expected to hear this, but it still hurt. He kept one hand in mine and moved the other to my face, bringing me to look at him. “I know this isn’t something you want to hear, but I wouldn’t have changed a thing that happened. You wouldn’t be here; you wouldn’t be mine, if Hush hadn’t messed up.” I nodded and then pulled out the knife; looking at the handle.